I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: a couple finishing questions
Posted by: Steve Broadwell (---.3.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 09:22PM

For the last few years I've been using the double edged blades. They seem a lot sharper, and are definitely a lot thinner, than the regular single edged blades.
I cut them into two blades with scissors, then fold masking tape over the back side, so they are easy to hold. One rod, and I throw the blade away. Tried sharpening, but never could get the blade as sharp as it was originally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Bruce Robb (---.nat-125.northstar.k12.ak.us)
Date: December 11, 2009 10:03PM

You'd be surprised how fast you can learn to NOT cut yourself with a double edged razor and how little attention is actually required. I don't pay particular attention, don't tape the off side and don't cut myself. The good part is they are sharper than the single edge blades and still (for now) available at the grocery store. If there is a down side..... when you drop it in your lap you should avoid the urge to slam your thighs together to catch it before it hits the floor!

Pesco Ergo Sum

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 12, 2009 08:15AM

Double edged blades are more expensive, and do not hold the edge as long as a regular blade, and are probably harder to sharpen because they bend. YOu can also "palm" a single edge blade without worrying about cutting yourself, so that you wrap guide after guide without putting teh blade down, and not being able to find it when you need it. Teh double edge blades are definitely sharper though - they are also lubricated and need to be wiped clean. Honestly, anything you use to cut thread wraps should be cleaned every time you sit down to wrap a rod. WHo knows what your scissors came in contact with sitting in your plastic storage box?

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster