I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

DYING EVA GRIPS
Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2009 12:09PM

I have an already built rod that a customer would like built for himself with the exception of the EVA grips. The grips on the rod or lite gray and black grain. He would like the exact rod built only with all black EVA grips. My question. Is there any way that I can dye the EVA grips black or will I have to build the rod over? If so what do I use to dye the grips? Thanks guys.
Tony
Little River Rods

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: DYING EVA GRIPS
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2009 12:36PM

Being a closed cell foam I doubt that will work. The dye won't be absorbed into the EVA.

Posted by: Tony Spinelli (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: December 07, 2009 01:38PM

Thanks Tom. If you say it can't be done I guess it can't be done.
Tony

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 07, 2009 01:42PM

Let me put it another way - I don't know how to do it.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 07, 2009 06:12PM

I have tried, using cold water, warm water, hot water with "Rit" dye.
Sorry, did not take.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 12:02AM

Have him sell that one and build him another which will be easier with a new blank.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 03:02AM

GEt a piece of 2mm craft foam in black, slightly sand down the existing grip you don't like, and wrap the sheet around the grips, using contact cement. I know that info isn't really explaining the full prcess, but it will work - only problem is the front of the grip you'll need a winding check or something to cover teh exposed edge and difference in colors.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 08:06AM

Billy,

I need to save that answer! It is great information for you to share. I`m going to try it myself.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: larry pickering (---.msy.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 10:21AM

Bill, I just tried some automotive vinyl dye, it covered good and didn't rub off, not sure about the long turn durability, in the past, I have use black flocking.

Larry Pickering
Proud member of the the "who dat nation"

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 08, 2009 11:35AM

Don't know if this will work - but if you can, get an eva grip with a large ID. put the rod on a lath and sand down so you can slide the new eva over the old one. You can even taper so the end at the seat is larger. Or just streight. Trim a little off the end buy the seat so it does not show. A little glue, then wash any excess off.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster