I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

new to site
Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: December 05, 2009 11:42PM

Hey All,
New to the site and rod building.I tie flys and jigs.
I did not see a thread to post "for newbes" so I hope it ok to post here!
I am going to lurk here for a while and gain information on rod building.

But I would like to ask 1 question..
What would be a go rod building starting kit?I would need all the "stuff"

Thanks in advance and thanks for the site,,More questions to come!
mikeb

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: new to site
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 01:29AM

A number of the suppliers on the left have "kits" that are good for starting. They also can give great advice to the beginner!

Additionally you can build a relationship with sources for your future needs.

Ask lots of questions of them and this site and you will find lots of help and advice.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:49AM

And, it's best to get them on the phone and talk it through. Many of the sponsors provide this service and they are all pretty good with putting together kits of what you really need and won't over sell stuff you don't.

You should also get one of the how to books that covers basic assembly, wrapping and finishing. Tom's book is one of the best but there are others that work. Ask here if you can't figure it out and we'll help you.

Terry

Posted by: Les Stewart (---.rh1.dyn.cm.comporium.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:50AM

Welcome Mike, I do a lot more lurking than posting here as well. Check out the Mudhole .com site. They have a lot of info and even their catalogs have step by step directions for building rods. If you can make it to Highpoint, NC for the International Rod Builders Expo in February you can spend two days in classes and learn rod building from some of the best in the world. Its a great deal too, $10. for each day is all it cost!

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 06, 2009 12:03PM

Or $15 for both days. About the best bargain that's ever existed in the custom rod building world.

Posted by: mike burnette (---.pmtnet.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 09:57PM

I only live bout 1 hour drive from High Point NC.
SO I will prolly be at the expo.
How do you register??
Thanks for the info.
mikeb

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 06, 2009 10:23PM

No need to register Here's all of the info!!! [home.earthlink.net] It's like Disney World, Super Bowl and Toys'R'us for rodbuilders!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.rb.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: December 06, 2009 11:35PM

Mike when is that new issue of Rod Building coming out.
Good Wraps Bob

Good Wraps Bob

Date: December 06, 2009 11:40PM

Mike B. if you go to Mud Hole for help ask for Todd Vivin. Todd was a rod designer for Lamiglas for 19 years, Some of MH's blanks are of Todd's design.

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 07, 2009 01:41AM

Bob,
What new issue???????????

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: December 07, 2009 02:17AM

Mike in the site ( home.earthlink.net ) That looks like new issue of RodMaker

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: December 07, 2009 05:48PM

Mike, Give me a call, if you are only an hour from High Point you can't be far from Raleigh. That is where our shop is and I have everything in stock for you to put your hands on to see what you are getting. Love to help you out.
Scott Parsons

Date: December 08, 2009 12:56AM

Mike if you are that close, head for Scott's! Nothing like seeing and handling the stuff you buy first

Good Wraps Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster