I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Float N Fly Rod
Posted by: Bert Nagy (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 03:12PM

I am interested in building a Float N Fly rod. I've recently read some articles where Spotted Bass are succumbing to this technique.

From what I have read these rods are 8', 9', or 10' long, and use very light line. The basic rig uses Power Pro Line in 1 pound diameter 8 pound test tied to the Three Way Swivel. A Seaguar 8 lb Fluorocarbon Leader from 8 to 18 feet in length for the jig, and the bobber on the the 3rd line to the swival. You don't cast very far. I guess you just lob it out there.

I am seeking recommendations from a builder who has built a rod for this technique, especially a recommendation regarding a blank.

Thanks
Bert Nagy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Float N Fly Rod
Posted by: BobMcKamey (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 04:04PM

Bert -- This technique is used during the winter, as the water temp drops down in the 50's. Not saying it will not work at greater water temps, but the boys in Tennessee had rather the water be cold. Fish buch up and chase suspended shad during those water conditions. You are correct about the various length rods that are used. When using a longer leader under the float, some like the longer rods. I never used a 3 way swivel, just clipped the float directly on the line at the required depth of baitfish and tied the jig directly to the end of the line. We mainly used 4 lb. line. These rods are generally built on a fly blank. A 5 or 6 wt. fly blank works great. Wind makes this technique work best, as the wind makes the float dance on top of the water and then provides movement to the jig. We use a small pear-shaped float. Find the baitfish and stay back away from them, making long casts. Thus another very good reason for the longer rod. You will find the deeper you fish on a longer leader, the easier it will also be on a longer rod.

Bob McKamey
bobm@mudhole.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 11:26PM

St Croix makes a special blank for this technique, the 3S80MLM2.

Posted by: Bryan Thompson (---.wi.res.rr.com)
Date: December 05, 2009 11:59AM

I had talked to Bob at length about this technique as it is a necessity in the clear TX waters in winter. He suggested a 9'-9'6" minimum length. 10' maybe being most ideal just a tad longer learning curve in casting technique. Since sensitivity is negligible. Bob hooked me up with a forecast 2 piece and it turned out to do the job well. I did only get the 9' 6wt' rod and it did well. I don;t know if it was Bob, but somebody gave me a website to guy in TN that makes the flies and bought a bunch of them. They were a well built fly with many color choices and decent prices. I am sure if you call Bob he will get everything you need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster