I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

sanding a blank
Posted by: chip chappell (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 02:24AM

What is the best way to sand a carbon or fiberglass blank?

thanks
chip

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sanding a blank
Posted by: Terry Goode (70.248.191.---)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:00AM

i wont say its the best but i scraped mine with a blade then sanded with 320 wet grit then 1000 wet grit.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:03AM

If the blank has been painted and you wish to remove the paint, I would first use 400-600 grit and wet sand.
After the blank first starts to peek through I would switch to 1000 grit. And then 2000 grit - all wet sanded.
Herb

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:34AM

Sanding damages the fibers by scratching and tearing them. A thin walled graphite blank, particularly near the tip, is best never touched with a piece of sandpaper unless we're talking extremely fine sandpaper.

Date: December 03, 2009 12:56PM

can i use a green scotch pad ?Or 600 grit sand paper. What do you think? i'm going to use permagloss for the finish
thanks for the help

chip

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2009 12:58PM

Scrape the old finish off, or use a citrus type stripper to remove it. Clean with ScotchBrite. That's your best bet.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 03, 2009 01:29PM

There is a good article on "refinishing a rod" in the library section of this site.....read it for more info.

Date: December 03, 2009 02:39PM

thank you I'll check it out

chip

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 04:33AM

Chip,
Tom has some very good points.
Generally speaking when stripping a blank, I will use gentle heat to soften the finish. Be sure to NOT and overdo the heat application.
Then, I use a straight edged razor blade held at 90 degrees to the blank. Always scrape from the tip to the butt of the rod. You will find that the fibers run in a lengthwise or lengthwise spiral wrap around the blank. The fibers always run from the tip to the blank. So, if you scrape from the tip to the butt of the blank, you won't catch a fiber and lift it from the blank.
Then, if you sand, the best bet is to sand lengthwise on the blank for the same reason.
A good way to do the sanding is in a bathtub with the shower running with wet and dry paper. The shower keeps the blank wet and rinses away the sanding dust and it avoids clogging the paper.

Start with as course grit as is necessary to remove the remenants of finish after scraping but fine enough to avoid leaving scratches. Then, gradually move to a finer grit. Normally, if you go down to 400 or 600 grit finish and have always sanded with the length of the blank, the finish will be glossy enough for a fine finish. If you choose, you can keep going to finer and finer grits if needed for an even smoother finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2009 04:33AM

Chip,
Tom has some very good points.
Generally speaking when stripping a blank, I will use gentle heat to soften the finish. Be sure to NOT and overdo the heat application.
Then, I use a straight edged razor blade held at 90 degrees to the blank. Always scrape from the tip to the butt of the rod. You will find that the fibers run in a lengthwise or lengthwise spiral wrap around the blank. The fibers always run from the tip to the blank. So, if you scrape from the tip to the butt of the blank, you won't catch a fiber and lift it from the blank.
Then, if you sand, the best bet is to sand lengthwise on the blank for the same reason.
A good way to do the sanding is in a bathtub with the shower running with wet and dry paper. The shower keeps the blank wet and rinses away the sanding dust and it avoids clogging the paper.

Start with as course grit as is necessary to remove the remenants of finish after scraping but fine enough to avoid leaving scratches. Then, gradually move to a finer grit. Normally, if you go down to 400 or 600 grit finish and have always sanded with the length of the blank, the finish will be glossy enough for a fine finish. If you choose, you can keep going to finer and finer grits if needed for an even smoother finish.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 08:11AM

I always sand in the 400 grit and higher range. And I sand wet. Pay close attention to your slurry. As soon as the color starts turning to a charcoal grey, you're down to the graphite.

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: December 04, 2009 11:31AM

I have stripped a few using Citristrip stripping gel. I usually do a half or third of the blank at a time. Wipe the gel on, wait 30-40 minutes, then I scrape off the finish with a popsicle stick. Sometimes I follow up with 600 wet or a grey Scotchbrite pad. I tried buffing it in my power wrapper with brown paper as suggested by Bill Stevens and that works good as a final step.

Wear good rubber gloves and eye protection. I put newspapers on the floor and do it right in my shop.

Chuck

Date: December 06, 2009 09:44PM

Thanks Roger and other Rod builders

Thanks allot for all the reply's to my post on this subject.

Chip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster