I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spinning Rod 7' Guide sizes
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:06PM

Hi,

I am about to build my first rods, and before I place my order, I would like to have an opinion on whether these guide sizes are ok.

Guides are Batson XTCYTCG

Blanks are Batson RX7, 2 piece 7 foot.

ISP7842F - ISP7843F - IP843F - IP844F

Spinning Reel is 2500 - 4000 depending on fish species, but the 2500 will be used mainly.

Braid line will be used.

Sizes:
TT= 5 or 5.5

Then: 6 6 7 7 10 16 25

Thanks again,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spinning Rod 7' Guide sizes
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:10PM

Read the article in the library on the New Guide Concept. I think it will offer you an option that will work better.

If you already know that the #5 will be your smallest guide/top, you could even do something like this 25 - 16 - 10 - 5 - 5 - 5 - 5 - tiptop.

I'd rather plot the line path and do it that way, but what I mentioned above will certain work okay. You don't need a bunch of different sizes.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:35PM

I agree with Tom, although I generally use size 6 fly guides from the 10, unless I need a 6 then 6Fly which is all dependent on the line path at that point. The 6's will pass any connection knot you can concoct with relative ease. IF you know for a fact the 5s will work plenty fine for you go for it. I know they are too small for my 10# braid to 20# mono albright, but the 6's pass it well.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:51PM

I agree with Sean on his selection of the size 6 for knot passage.
Also, if you intend to use a size 4000 reel on it, you might consider using a size 30 guide for the first guide. With the larger reel, the size 30 first guide will give smoother casts and retrieves.
Note, I did not say longer casts, only smoother casts.

I like to do some test retrieving with the guides taped in place on a new rod build with the proposed reel in place. As I slowly retrieve, I like to see the line follow the first guide all the way around the guide as the reel executes its full spool rotation. If the line does follow the first guide all the way around the guide as the line is retrieved, you will find that the rod is much smoother in operation, compared to a rod that is built with a guide such that the line tends to make only partial rotations around the guide as it is retrieved.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: December 03, 2009 12:46AM

Roger - how would a smaller stripper guide not allow line travel around the entire interior circumference of the ring? How does a larger guide provide smoother casts?

-----------------
AD

Date: December 03, 2009 01:17AM

Alex,
Just try the experiment.
i.e. first tape on a smaller stripper guide so that during the retrieve much of the time the line is only pulling from one or a few points on the guide. Try doing some casts and RETRIEVES with a heavy plug, say 2 ozs.

Then, tape on a larger guide, checking to insure that the line follows the full diameter of the guide as the line is retrieved.

I think that you will find a substantial difference.

If you aren't doing a lot of casting, or if you are casting with light baits - like am 1/8th oz jig - I doubt you will see any difference.
It is only when you are casting heavy weights - with appropriate line that you see the difference.

Just give it a try and let me know how it works for you.

p.s.
The reason that I began doing this was from advice from a particular client who made hundreds of casts a day with heavy spoons and plugs for northern and musky from his spinning rig.
I had tied on a size 25 guide, but he brought the rod back and requested that I take off the 25 and tie on the 30. Ever since then, when making these type spinning rods, I make sure that I get the smooth line transition that can only be accomplished by the larger stripper guide.

p.p.s.
Note, in my post - I did not suggest that Casting was the issue with the guide size. I stated that the Retrieve of heavier weights was the issue.
Take care
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2009 01:18AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:44AM

Sure you did - "With the larger reel, the size 30 first guide will give smoother casts and retrieves. " You did say it didn't relate to longer casts.

I'll give it a try on my next spin rod - what comes to mind is it the guide height and not ring ring size where you are finding benefit? The larger guide is taller.

Your comment "I make sure that I get the smooth line transition that can only be accomplished by the larger stripper guide." I'm assuming you mean a nice flow from the reel through the guides - basically a straighter line path. At least that is how I am interpreting it.

-----------------
AD

Date: December 04, 2009 04:35AM

Alex,
Correct.
One of the issues with guides that are either shorter and or smaller is that as the line comes off the high side of a tall reel spool, the line will meet the top of the shorter and or smaller guide and even as the spool is rotated to the lower position, the line still tends to stay toward the high side of the smaller or shorter guide.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster