I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need suggestions on glass blanks
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:19AM

I've been searching and looknig for the glow in the dark stuff for a catfish rod and I found that there are some folks who put LED's in the hollow glass blanks and they light up nice. I have not built any glass rods so I have no experience with them. What blanks would be able to transmit the light up the blank for it to be visible? I've seen some dark dark glass blanks, and some are black. Are there any that are opaque white or close to clear, or what have you guys seen that works well for this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need suggestions on glass blanks
Posted by: justin keithley (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:50AM

the infamous shakespeare ugly stick has a semi-transparent section of tip on the factory rods. I think you can still buy the blanks for them.

Regards,
-Justin

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 12:00PM

It's been a few years since you could buy a Shakespeare blank of any kind. Batson has the tuffstick line in a pretty good variety with a solid glass blue tip that may work. Call or e-mail them.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 01:06PM

Andrew,

Email me about this issue. I might have a better solution for you that is cheaper and easier to make happen. I have been messing around with glowing tip sections for Great Lakes walleye and salmon rods for a couple of years now. Got a process that is working very well, and offers several color options.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: December 02, 2009 02:10PM

Paint a section of the tip with glow in the dark paint. It works great and can be bought at Home Depot. Put on a couple coats, let dry, coat with thread finish. Read the labels carefully. Some of the paint will last for an hour, some longer. You have to re-charge it with a flashlight. White color works best.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Mike Sloan (---.dsl.atmc.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 08:37PM

I have a question that seems to fit here here. I am planing on building a rod for surf fishing. Has any one seen thread that is reflective. I have thread on some of my out door gear that reflects light very well. I thought it would be a good idea to make some decorative wraps out of that so a little bit of light would make it shine. Not as Ideal as glowing in the dark but a quick shine from an led head lamp you could see what your rod is doing.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: December 03, 2009 07:58AM

Glow in the dark isn't what I was looking for. I want to get a hollow glass blank that I can put a laser pointer in the butt end for night fishing. I just don't know who has a glass blank that isn't all black, clear tip or opaque white would work but I just don't have enough experience to know what I'm looking for in that department.

Posted by: Tony Childs (---.196.sag.speednetllc.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 11:56AM

Andrew, order a Forecast toughstick blank and check it out. The tip is a transluscent blue, almost clear. It may work for what your talking about. They are cheap enough to order and eat if necessary. You can always use it for a gaff or diver rod later if it doesn't work for what your looking at. I don't have one laying around without UV Glow on it, but I bet if you lightly sand away the blue, the tip will be very clear. Email Batson, they should be able to tell you if it will work.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster