I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Micro tip top
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 02:34PM

If rewrapping a base rod, and say using 4's for running guides, since most fisher people ( got to be correct ) reel the lure and go right up to the tip top, does it make sense to have a top of one or two sizes larger. Maybe this way the knot and ring of the lure does not pop the ring of the top ??

Thanks guys

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Micro tip top
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 02:50PM

i have been using a 6 ring tip on my micros just because the tube sizes are not big enough.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Date: December 01, 2009 02:55PM

Rolly, There is another reason for larger tops.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Greg Weaver (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 06:09PM

Bill, first you asked and question and then later made a statement. You care to clear it all up for us?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2009 06:44PM

Something has to stop whatever is tied on the end of your line. I'm not sure that a larger ring would be less subject to damage - it's still going to get bumped by something on the end of the line if the fisherman isn't careful. If the snap doesn't hit it, the lure nose will.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 07:34PM

Rolly Beenen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i have been using a 6 ring tip on my micros just
> because the tube sizes are not big enough.

You can purchase micro-sized braced tops in Fuji Alconite (Black and Chrome) and in Fuji Aluminum Oxide. The available ring size is 4.5mm and the sleeves go from 4.0 to 6.0 and half sizes.

In addition, I believe that American Tackle now offers their Nanolite braced tops in a 5mm ring with larger sleeve sizes.

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:04PM

The blanks I have been using are a 6.5 tube.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 11:15AM

We stock the full frame Batson tops with a sz 06 "Flanged" ring up to 6.5 tube.
The flange may give you a little more security against popping out.
We also have the black/gold and black/black Batson Micro unbraced tops in 04 ring to 6.0 tube, in sz 05 ring to 6.5 tube
We have several styles of braced Batson 06 ring tops in tube sizes up to 6.5 tube, sz 07 rings are available up to 8.0 tube.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Date: December 02, 2009 11:32AM

I here ya Tom

What is the most popular ring or tops put on bass rods. Aconite I have read here seem to pop rings more.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 01:36PM

I have been using Alconites tops for a very long time on rods I do and personally have not had any where the ring has been popped out. But I know most I have built rods for or my own rods, I rarely wind my lure all the way up to the tip, just to prevent any problems with the tip.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 04:38PM

Bill B. - bass rod - they are not all the same.

Please provide the specifics of the particular rod you are dealing with so you can get a customized answer.-

Blank length - action and power - used for ? - diameter of the blank at the tip in tube size - type of build spiral conventional - type of line used - baitcasting or spinning - do you desire to throw knots - etc.

Date: December 02, 2009 06:01PM

Bill:

i have several rods from a guy that likes to fish. Every time I call he is fishing. Getting cold here in Jersey. But the rods are a One is a Loomis GLX MBR843 C Med-Heavy Fast 10-17 line, another is a GLX PR 844Cmedium with fast action 8-17 lb line. 7 footers. Both have 4 double foot casting guides then single foot guides from there. The single foots are on one 7's and the other 8'S. I am looking at these and thinking they are light, But why all the double foots and the fly guides are large ??

the rods are very light in hand, but I am figuring I can If he goes for it , do all fly micro's, maybe the butt a double foot. The guides are Fuji SIC ring Ti frames.

The owner even asked about Micros . I guess he does his home work.

If I do one just so he can see how he liks them, I may have to refinish the blank. The finish, a charcoal gray, does not seem to adhere to the blank well. A loose reel seat told me this.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: December 02, 2009 06:45PM

Your original post referred to needing a tip to match up with size 4.0 running guides

The last response presents a more complete picture of what you need. First you need to decide on what you will use for guides. Manufacturer and size all are different and the spacing will not conform to the existing guide placement used on the rods. Again, the line used and necessity of knot throwing is quite important. There are braced tip tops with micro sized rings available for those blanks.

There are several choices currently being used. My first choice for those two blanks would be to use all the same size micro guides all on top ( probably 9 or 10 ) with a braced micro top. If you think that rod is light in hand now just try a micro build - you will soon see the value of the micro guides. Since you customer appears to be a Gloomis person use the Fuji LSG 3.5 SIC guides if no knot throwing is involved.

If you start down this path please purchase a digital scale from Harbor Freight - use it to weight everything and keep records. Be sure to weigh the rod as is before you start. While you are at it strip them all the way down and use a split grip, fully exposed or two piece seat and no foregrip! For maximum performance take care in stripping the blank and do not add any additional weight by attempting to coat the blank. The natural graphite GLX can be polished out very nicely with heavy brown craft paper at high speed - just be extremely careful stripping the thing down - I would prefer to start with a new blank and save the time of clean up - build your first one on a more economical blank and you may find that you will end up with a rod that proved to be exactly what he wanted.

Like the telephone guy says - Git Er Done!

Date: December 02, 2009 07:27PM

Sounds like all I got to do is build him one -- then he is hooked ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.173.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 02, 2009 09:12PM

bill boettcher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sounds like all I got to do is build him one --
> then he is hooked ???

If it was only that easy.

Date: December 02, 2009 10:39PM

The tenth one with all new stuff will be a lot easier than the first one done with a strip and rebuild! You will never get to the tenth one until you finish the first one!

Date: December 02, 2009 11:17PM

That is like building the first rod, then you learn what you did wrong.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: December 03, 2009 09:51AM

I just finished the same job last night on a GL3 MBR783, finished weight was 29% lighter than stock, I can guarantee that having a rod 1/3 lighter with the same blank will be very noticeable. Next time I do one of these jobs I am going to measure the balance point before and after to see how much it is improved by removing so much tip weight. Doing jobs like this is probably the best marketing you can do, the customer gets to see what is possible from a custom build versus a stock factory rod.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster