I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Drill on hobby lath
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 30, 2009 02:41PM

Does any one know where I can get info on the drill used on this Grizzly Hobby Lath [www.grizzly.com] Is it a grizzly drill ?

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Drill on hobby lath
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 30, 2009 02:49PM

Yep ... they sell their own drill that fits nicely. Call Grizzly and they can help you with the proper part number and pricing.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 30, 2009 02:56PM

It's a Grizzley 1/2" variable speed. Good drill Used one with a hobby lathe for a few years.

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Mike Canavan (---.nys.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 30, 2009 03:06PM

I use the same lathe/drill setup Bill - I recently called to order another corded, 1/2" drill (model H0777) for it from Grizzly and was told that they were recently discontinued.

Date: November 30, 2009 03:18PM

You are right Mike. I called also and they have the lath, but don't sell the drill any more. Called the Tech department and was told to try Dewalt ?? I may have to see if I can get my Skill repaired and pick up a cheep drill just for the time being.

Thanks guys And the search continues

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 30, 2009 10:15PM

Well don't that beat all.It's funny you had made that post about the drill. Here just the other day I was using my Grizzly lathe and the drill seemed alittle warm.Was going to call them and ask about getting a replacement.But it looks as though I'm a day late and dollar short.However in this case lots of grips short.
If you should find a drill that fits the hobby lathe would you please post it.I really liked the hobby lathe,it is so portable.Just pick it up take it out doors on the carport,set it on my work mate and sand away.All dust gone with the wind.Well I guess I'll have to start saving and looking for something else that's portable like the Grizzly.
..... Hey Mike do you want to part with your Grizzly drill.....???? <<<< DON >>>>

Posted by: George Forster (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 30, 2009 11:15PM

You can find a drill that has the necessary collar at Home Depot (approx $100) or Harbor Freight ($29). There are probably many others. Look for a drill that has a handle for the left hand. Remove the handle, and you have a molded collar on the drill housing that will fit in the headstock of the hobby lathe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2009 11:16PM by George Forster.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 30, 2009 11:41PM

I've used a Craftsman drill on my Grizzly lathe. It works fine, but because the chuck has a larger diameter than the collar I have to remove the chuck, install the drill collar into the headstock, then re-install the chuck. So having a drill with a chuck that is narrower than the collar would be helpful.

Jeff

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 01, 2009 01:02PM

Bill,
What is the inside diameter of the chuck clamp that holds the drill to the lathe? (range of clamp as well)
I have both 3/8th and 1/2 inch Milwaukee drill motors. Both of these drills have an extra handle for a drilling aid that clamps around the nose of the drill. If the clamp is reasonably close I would expect that one of these drills would work very well. The Milwaukee drill motors are nearly bulletproof.

The only concern that I might have for a lathe is that the speed of the 1/2 inch drill is 1200 rpm. This might be slow for a lathe. The 3/8th inch drill has a speed of 2800 which would be just fine for a drill.

For any lathe that is used in such an application, it is nice to use a router speed control to select the speed of the lathe. i.e. you lock the drill at maximum speed and then plug the drill into the router speed control and dial in the speed that you like. Although most variable speed drills have a variable trigger, they generally only have a lock at the maximum speed settings.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 01, 2009 05:38PM

You guys understand : I was looking for a drill similar to my Skill. It has a knob on the trigger that I can SET the speed of the drill and then LOCK it on to that speed. No one seems to have these any more. I have found on Harbor Fright a drill with it. But it is only $ 20.00. If i buy two of these and then see if if I can have my Skil rebuilt --- I am a winner. Plus it is said to go to 3000 RPM ?? I called today and they say they have a lot of them -- for whatever that is worth ????

Thanks for all the help

Love this site and the builders on it.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster