I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

excise tax?
Posted by: Brad Young (---.cha.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 05:28PM

Are the rules still the same for the sports excise tax? I know another builder who says that they raised the amount for resale to $200.00 before the tax should be applied. He also said that he pays the tax when he receives klthe parts from the dist. didn't know that you can do that,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: excise tax?
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 05:36PM

The other builder is stuffed like a Thanksgiving turkey. Tax starts at the first penny of a sale and moves forward until you hit $10.00 in assessed tax (calculation varies - end user or reseller).

You have to register to collect excise taxes, register to receive a FEIN and submit a Form 720, with payment, quarterly. Even if you pay at the point of manufacturer OR claim an exemption (different registration) you STILL have to collect/remit and report.

There is an article in the library here ... [www.rodbuilding.org].

In addition, you can read up on the IRS website and/or consult with your CPA. It isn't difficult to remit and report, but I bet things can get excitingly tough if you don't and get caught.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/2009 05:36PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 29, 2009 12:22PM

I think the guy is saying that he does not owe any more tax because it is included on the components he buys. WRONG.

If he resells the components he does not have to collect any excise tax on them. It has already been included and paid. But.............at the instant you use them to make a new item---the fishing rod---you must now figure and pay the tax on that new item, the rod.

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 01, 2009 04:17PM

Oh, this is great. More $$ to the gov't.

I have been in business for three years now and had no idea about this tax!!! Been paying state tax but had no idea about this one. Should have known Uncle Sam needed a slice of the action. Assumed it was settled up in my filings at the end of the year when I did my taxes.

Are there any other taxes or fees that are to be paid/gathered?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 01, 2009 05:17PM

Uncle Sam doesn't get it - you do. Every fisherman does. 96% of this money is returned the state fish and game departments for sportfish restoration and habitat improvements. The other 4% is kept by the U.S. Fish and Game Department for administrative purposes.

Date: December 01, 2009 08:24PM

Tom, I can appreciate your comment and understand - no problems with that. But, the thought of having to go back for the last three years and pay the back taxes - and whatever penalty the bureaucrats want to throw at me - that will be coming out of my pocket since I did not collect is extremely aggravating right now. I/We pay enough taxes as it is. I know this is no one's fault but my own but the fact that it "comes back to me" is of little consequence at the moment. I would rather avoid the middle man (gov't) and keep the $$ I have.

Once again, are there other taxes or fees that are to be paid/gathered before I contact my tax preparer and the IRS?

Eddie

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 01, 2009 08:51PM

The ONLY transactional tax at the Federal level is the Excise Tax (Form 720). Of course, other taxes (sales and/or excise) may be applicable at the local level (state, county, municipality).

Don't forget that all business income and related expense must be properly reported as well ... definitely at the Federal level and quite possibly at the local level.

Although the entire process isn't totally daunting, I prefer to process quarterly reports/payments and leave the end of year to my CPA.

Jim -

Date: December 02, 2009 12:58PM

Thanks, Jim, for the feedback. Also, thank you Tom for the comment - did not thank you earlier.

I do collect sales and use tax - for North Carolina - and have been paying that. Just was not aware of the excise tax. From what I was to understand did not think I needed an FEIN number so thought was that all fed taxes were being covered as part of my EOY taxes. Oh, well. Fortunately I do keep good records and have been a "business" for about a year and a half. So, hopefully won't be too bad - I hope. I am more concerned about penalties than anything. Especially in this era of budget shortfalls

Thanks again,
Eddie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster