I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Optivisor
Posted by: Roger Rierson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:18AM

Looking at optivisors to buy. Unsure which magnifying lens would be good. What lens strength do most use. Also what is a good light to use at your work bench or wrapping station?
Thanks,

Greensboro, NC

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Optivisor
Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:44AM

I'm sure you will get a lot of comments on this question. I use a 6X magnifying lens but i am old and can,t see real well i would think most will use the Optivisor with the 3.5X lens. As far as light you can never have to much lite at you wrapping area. I use four 4' florescent lights with the outside light bulbs. I am sure there are better lights but that is what i use.
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Jim Rippe (---.chcgilgm.dynamic.covad.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 12:54PM

I use a 4X magnifying lens.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 01:17PM

many of the optical visors come with a range of lenses. This depends on how close you work and how "old" your eyes are. :-)

I use the 3.5 power on mine and seems to work well for me, although I would use a 2.5 if it was available in my set, which it isn't. I also have a range of cheater specs laying around that I grab as well. I used to be able to do the close work without eye help if the light was good. Not true any more.

Terry

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 03:58PM

@#$%& sells about the best one that I've seen (at a fraction of the price) and it comes with 4 lenses [] scroll down!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 04:27PM

I use a three diopter lens mounted on a 42" swivel arm with a 22W fluorescent ring light. It provides a nice bit of extra light without using the lens AND the extra boost needed for high detail work when using the lens. Best of all, it can reach all but the very ends of my 10' workbench since it is center mounted toward the rear.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:47PM

I have tried most of the options mentioned and the optivisor is the best for me and can be worn over glasses.

Posted by: Allen Madsen (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 12:33AM

Roger:
Let the focal length be your deciding factor. I use an optivisor everyday at work and a high power lens with a 4 inch focal length will not do you much good. I would have someone measure the distace you like work on rods and get the visor that fits that distance. I have tried several brands and for me the optivisor is the one I like.

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 02:47PM

Roger:

Since you are already wearing glasses, are they bi-focal? I have tired most of the suggestions above as my eyes got older. The solution I hit on was a pair of the flip down magnifiers. My bi-focals are the large "shooting glasses" size lenses with 2.5x bi-focal built in. With the flipdown 3x, I am able to use my regular lens at the top, move to 3x, then to 5.5x, and back to 2.5x at the bottom. I get veriable power and the flip downs are very light in weight. as for light, I have several Ott lites on my bench that let me move the light to where I need it the most.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster