I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Power Sander for cork....
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 05:10AM

I enjoy shaping cork and try to do so with some precision. Most of it is done on a lathe but occasionally, need to sand a handle down on the flat side to make the handle or even a single ring shorter.

So I got one of those small umpeteen gadzillion RPM disk sanders. Wasted dollars. (Sigh) That spinning disk GRABS to the cork and torques it so that I really can't get a face perpendicular to the grip. Hope I'm making sense.

OK, so I still need a power sander of some kind to speed up the process.

I'm thinking that a BELT SANDER would be the right solution. Would I be right?

If so, can you guys recommend something?

What I'm looking for:

1. SLOW speed so that I can control how much stuff comes off with more precision.
2. As small and light as possible - but still do the job. I will ONLY be taking cork and composite cork down so I don't need another gadzillion watts high powered unit....:)
3. Would prefer option of lower grit belt.

By the way, I know about the jigs that allows one to cut cork - sometimes I need to angle the cork's flat face so that won't work.

Thanks,
Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Power Sander for cork....
Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 08:54AM

Email sent

Posted by: sam fox (208.74.247.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 09:58AM

I use a 1 inch belt sander.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 12:46PM

Mo,
I use the disc sander attached to my grinder. It may not be the best option, but it works very well and allows me to get nice level planes on my cork.

Robert

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 01:19PM

If you wanted a variable speed option with different grits, maybe the sanding disk attached to your variable drill would work?

Let us know what you come up with Mo.

Terry

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 01:22PM

I use a sanding attachment on my lathe. It is a hook and loop base mounted on a spindle. I just chuck it up and go. Best of all, I can buy hook and loop paper in various grits and change VERY quickly to another grit. My cost was minimal, they aren't expensive at all.

BTW, this is ONE of the tricks I learned from Morris Schlesinger at the last ICRBE. After getting back from High Point, I ordered one and have never looked back - it is a nice addition to any lathe setup.

Date: November 28, 2009 04:24PM

Gary, thanks for the e-mail.

Jim, where would I look at a sanding attachment for a lathe?

Thanks,
Mo

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 28, 2009 04:42PM

Mo -

I bought the attachment and the paper discs from Klingspor's ... they are were at the show last year and are slated to appear again (listed as "The Woodworking Shop" on the exhibitor's list) in February 2010.

The device is known as a "Hook and Loop Pad" or "Sponge Disc". They are used by bowl turners, but have many other uses. In addition, you can get sanding drums on a spindle for use on the lathe, too.

Jim -

Date: November 28, 2009 10:33PM

Thanks.

Mo

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:04PM

Mo,
I use a home made 8 inch disk sander that I made from a 3600 rpm 1/2 hp pump motor. I had a friend make an 8 inch disk that screws onto the shaft of the threaded motor shaft.
I mounted the motor on a wood base and then made a maple work rest next to the face of the disk at 90 degrees to the face of the sanding disk.

A key part of the equation is to have a miter bar resting in the 90 degree channel to the sanding disk. I always hold the butt of the rod next to the 90 degree miter bar, so that the face of the butt is at exactly 90 degrees to the sanding disk. This allows one to take off as little or as much as you want.

I typically have 120 grit paper on the 3600 rpm disk.

I think that generally speaking you can do better with nearly any kind of power sander by spinning the belt, disk or other faster and using a lighter touch with finer paper.

This as opposed to moving the sandpaper slower with coarser paper.

An example of the type disk sander of which I speak is as follows:

[www.harborfreight.com]

Note the adjustable for angle work rest and the sliding miter bar on the sander.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.ronkva.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 01:13PM

Jim is not steering you wrong, I've been using my lathe with a disk as he stated for a long time now-Harbor Freght carrys everything-and it is easy to attach, cuts great and you dont have to buy another piece of machinery you dont need. You can get the grits down to VERY VERY fine as well.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster