I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Papilio White Vinyl Decal Material & Laser Printers
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 12:16AM

Has anyone tried the white vinyl decal material on a laser printer? Do you get as good of results with a laser as an ink jet?

I see they list the Waterproof White Vinyl under ink jet materials, but not under laser materials, on Texas Craft.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Papilio White Vinyl Decal Material & Laser Printers
Posted by: Jimi Ellis (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 08:50AM

Marc,

That company, along with others that are sponsors of this board sells both ink jet and laser paper. Make sure you get the right one for laser.

You will find very little difference in the looks of the decal.

If you go with the laser then you do not have to really worry about the color fading off the decal when you soak it in water.

Jimi

Jimi Ellis
Southern Grafix
www.SouthernGrafix.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:46AM

I have used Papillo white vinyl decal material and find it generally very easy to use. Only issue I've had is that it is hard to match a rod blank color exactly with it as the color seems to change a little when finish is applied. I've used color preservative without success. Am thinking that until I understand that issue better I will use contrasting colors. I have printed photos on it with text added and have made some really spectacular decals. With these decals there is not a need to match colors exactly.

It is very difficult to get colors that really work with the clear vinyl. The silver and gold work ok depending on colors used and the "theme" of the label, but they are a little stiffer, hard to use on small diameter blanks. If you read the articles on using these materials you will get a better handle on them and on how to make the stiffer ones stick. As with most rod-building skills, it takes some experimentation.

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 11:48AM

Not to steal your thread but do they make a color laser printer?

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 12:56PM

Paul Lindsey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not to steal your thread but do they make a color
> laser printer?

Paul,
Lots of options for color laser printers. While in the past they have been prohibitively expensive for most home users, you can find them in the <$200 range these days.

Robert

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:12PM

They just had a fair quality one at two seperate stores for $80-100 on a black friday deal. I opted not to go with it due to the quality reviews and having a high quality inkjet + a very good quality b/w laser leaves me no real need for it. I would love at some point to return to a solitary printer rather the pair I currently have, but for now it works.

As far as the vinyl, I have no idea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster