I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapper roller wheels
Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 27, 2009 03:26AM

Hi,

I'm just starting to build my first rod wrapper.

I have been given 8 brand new inline skate wheels that I was going to use.

Do the wheels have to be perfectly symmetrical for the wrapper to work properly. Will this cause issues when the epoxy is drying?

They seem pretty good for cheap wheels, as they have centre bearings as well.

Also is it necessary to have a third wheel weighting down on the rod. Is the only purpose of this to stop the rod from jumping out of the wrapper?

Thanks,

Richard

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapper roller wheels
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 27, 2009 09:39AM

The should be as round as possible.

It is not necessary to have the 3rd wheel for holding down the rod, but I think I'd use it if you ever intend to do any power turning or wrapping at high speed. If you're only using it for drying, you can get by without it, although it's not a bad idea to have some slight means of making sure the rod can't climb out of the supports if something else should be awry.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 27, 2009 12:46PM

Richard,
For most of my power wrappers, I use skate board bearings, with nothing on the outside.
There is really no need to have a large wheel on a wrapper. The standard skate board bearings with the standard 5/16th bolt work very well for a rod rest.

For example:
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Or, with O rings on the outside of the bearings:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

If you do use the plain bearings, low speed rotation - for example wrapping - will not require any blank protection. However, if you use plain bearings for high speed turning, then it is a good idea to place a couple wraps of masking tape around the blank in the area of the bearing support.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 27, 2009 01:48PM

here try this search : [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 27, 2009 09:43PM

Search @#$%& under cable pulleys thats what I put on my wrapper, mine are over 20 years old and still working fine. I use the 2 1/4 with a 3/16 bore and add 1/4" orings to the grooves. Ther are really quite inexpensive. 6 ea. AN210-2A Control Cable Pulleys

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 09:46PM by Ron Weber.

Posted by: Richard Khoury (---.carlnfd1.nsw.optusnet.com.au)
Date: November 28, 2009 02:45AM

Thanks again guys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster