I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BSVAG ADVANTAGES
Posted by: RICK STEVENS (---.orlandotelco.net)
Date: November 26, 2009 12:42AM

Does anyone have an idea of what the weight advantages are using the BSVAG guides using a cone of flight setup vs a wire guide setup using the same con of flight? What would be advantages if using braid only?
Wire would be 60,40,25,16,10, 8 and 8 tip
BSVAG would be 50,40,25,16,10,8 and 8 tip
It would be going on a SW1089 AMERICAN TACKLE Blank

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BSVAG ADVANTAGES
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 26, 2009 09:26AM

You would never need guides that large for braid. That's just a lot of unnecessary weight to hang on the rod. No advantages either way, only disadvantages.

If you still intend to go that route you'd have to just weigh a couple guides - one BSVAG versus one wire guide of the same size and note the percentage difference. That would give you a rough idea of the total difference between two complete sets.

Date: November 26, 2009 09:48AM

Tom Kirkman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would never need guides that large for braid.
> That's just a lot of unnecessary weight to hang on
> the rod. No advantages either way, only
> disadvantages.
>
>> Tom, I appreciate your input. What size guide would you start and finish with. I will be using the rod with 50# Power pro and fishing for Cobia off the piers in Fla. The jigs range between 3-4 ounces. Thanks.
> ...............

Date: November 26, 2009 10:30AM

I'd need your reel to set it up, but I'd go with the New Guide Concept. I doubt you'd need more than a 40, most likely a 30, to start. I'd quickly reduce the guides to the choker guide and then then run the same sizes the rest of the way out.

I can't give you exact sizes without being able to plot the line path from your reel to the choker guide, but I'd guess you'd end up with something along the lines of 40 - 20 - 12 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 8 - 8 (maybe) and a tiptop.

The smallest guides would be determined by what connections you may have to pass. If you don't have any shock leader knots or anything else you need to accommodate, you should be able to get by with size 8's. I'd use high frame spinning guides for the 40, 20 and 12, and low frame casting guides for the 8's.

Again, you need to plot the line path and size the guides accordingly. What I gave above is a just an example.

Date: November 26, 2009 12:05PM

The reel I will be using will be a Zeebaas 27. I think the spool diameter is close to 2.5". The front of the reel seat will be 22" from the butt. If the rod is a total 108" where would the choker guide be placed? Thanks again for your insight and realize it is just an estimated guess. I will go and test cast when i get a good starting point.

Date: November 26, 2009 01:02PM

I'll assume you haven't read the article on the system as it appeared last year in RodMaker.

Put the choker guide, your first #8 (or whatever your smallest guide is) about 67 to 68 inches beyond the reel spool face. The rest of the small guide go between there and the tiptop. The larger guides are distributed between the reel and the choker guide.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 26, 2009 01:40PM

You might want to take a look at Titanium frames. They will hold up considerably better to the corrosive effects of saltwater. A particularly interesting guide series would be the new "tangle-free" TK series by Fuji. BTW, I would recommend no smaller than #10 running guides since you mentioned 50# braid ... once you tie on a 60-80# leader, you will appreciate the larger opening for knots to pass easily.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Date: November 26, 2009 03:24PM

Jim, I have been looking at those guides. I was thinking since the Knots between my braid and the leader will never pass thru my guides I should be OK with the size 8. I noticed there is a difference in the height of the T-KWAG 12.3mm and the T-KTAG 11.1mm. That might line up better with the tip. Plus I will have 300yds of the 50# braid on the spool before a knot will pass again.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster