I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best adhesive for plastic to plastic?
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2009 06:10PM

I picked up some thin plastic spacer sheet material from a knife supply site to use in cork grips. I used flexcoat adhesive on the plastic to plastic and plastic to cork. Twice I've had the plastic-plastic bond come loose, either while shaping or while reaming. I'm not sure of what type of plastic it is. I did prep the plastic before bonding, and kept the plastic clamped for ~24 hrs prior to gluing up the grips, and it was at least 36 hrs before shaping. After reading the tribulations of trying to debond Rodbond on another post, would it be a better choice for this application? Anybody familiar w/ the material I'm referring to? They're not a sponsor here, so I won't post a link to the knife supply site.
Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best adhesive for plastic to plastic?
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 25, 2009 06:21PM

I use Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel. For a better bond, I drill 4 or 5 holes around the center hole in the ring it so that adhesive goes through and bonds the cork to cork also (thanks to Jay Hunt for that tip!!!!!)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 06:39PM

Jerry very touchy - poly prop different than poly ethylene - plastic is a very versatile word

You of all people - how about some of that high priced "nano poxy stuff you cram in peoples mouth"

click on the PDFlink - bond very specific

[www.google.com]

The only way I could figure to plug a hole in a "plastic battery case" was to hot melt "solder" same material into hole.

Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: November 25, 2009 06:53PM

Bill, that "nano poxy stuff" is just too dang expensive to play w/...I'm trying to keep the cost of the grips under what a new gold front tooth would cost ya. I'll play w/ CA, but am afraid the colors will "bleed". You're right, I'm not sure what kind of poly it is! I did post a pic of the foregrip...it separated while still on the mandrel, but the rear grip came apart when almost finished reaming. I DO like the look of the thin material. Mike, your option is next...thanks!
Jerry

Posted by: David Rogers (---.pn.at.cox.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 07:05PM

Superglue. It will not bleed any colors and will bond almost any sort of plastic. They even make a "plastic bonding" superglue that I would use if it is just the plastic to plastic that you are having problems with.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.yousq.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 07:54PM

I've had issues with epoxies and super glue on the plastic to plastic or metal to cork. The best luck I've had has been with Tite-Bond Poly adhesive; the epoxies and CA seem to have too rigid a bond (if that makes sense). Tite-Bond Poly seems to be a little more durable when it takes a shot from a tool on a lathe. The Tite-Bond Poly is also a lot less expensive than the dental adhesives. If you have questions let me know at Hellsangler@live.com .

Posted by: Robert Elam (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 08:28PM

Jerry - I have some basic chem knowledge of plastics. Since you can't provide a link to the site, can you describe the material? I might be able to help. Is it stiff or flexy for its thickness? How thick is it? Is it clear or white or opaque? Does it have a strong 'chemical' smell or no smell?
If I 'read between the lines' correctly, you're a dentist? Is it anything like X-ray medium?
As Bill mentioned, there's poly-pro, poly-eth, poly-styrene and Polly Ester (chem humor,,,heheee) among others. Most plastic binders will actually repel non-compatable material after the initial melt phase making future bonding difficult. David mentioned Superglue which is a great thing to test with. Just don't "commit" to it during a build. Test it first. CA can actually reduce some plastics to syrup and make others brittle.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 08:37PM

Jerry,
My brother recently sent me some plastic glue that he obtained from a supplier in Texas who's name I can't remember.
Do a search on plastic adhesive and see what you come up with.

I will admit that I have used the super glue with the plastic bonding agent. It does work better than any other glue that I have used. The problem is one of expense.

The prep material comes in a glass vial that you break to allow it to act as a prep material for the super glue. The problem with this is that as soon as the material evaporates from the glass vial, the useful part of the adhesive goes away. In other words, you have one shot at getting everything glued up. If you need to glue again, you will need to open another vial of primer.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 09:35PM

I have successfully used Devcon epoxy on arcrylics, adhering to cork, wood and more acrylic with out a failure during turning or reaming.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 26, 2009 02:00AM

Gorilla Glue has a new CA glue out formulatedspecificly for this pupose. It says on the package that it is very flexible and withstands direct impact well. Should be able to pick it up at any home supply such as Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hadware, etc.......

Bill in WV

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster