I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Quick Fly Rod Guide Poll....
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 04:07PM

Then with all the builders that collect infor and have scales --- how about updated info.

I hate to come here and ask which is heaver when ya don't have the info on sites and companies don't e-mail back

I can not afford to buy guides just to weigh them

Bill - willierods.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 04:35PM

REC has there weight states on there site ??? Got a link. Can't find it.

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 06:34PM

Bill,
No - not on their site. I asked Dan in Cust service and he sent it. I made a copy but I don't think I saved the attachment. I will check my other computer.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.214.223.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 28, 2009 10:52PM

Thanks a lot Herb. Galvanic corrosion was precisely what I was referring to in regards to the aluminum. I'm primarily a freshwater fisherman but galvanic corrosion can plague us all.
I accept your answer but aluminum is generally terrible for corrosion resistance.
Have you dissected any with time on them to confirm there isn't any ?

Date: November 28, 2009 11:05PM

Eugene,
No - did not destroy to search. But you seem to know about GC. If there was any it would poke its ugly head out of the opening where the loop went into the sleave - like stainless fasteners in an aluminum reel. I regularly dunk my tip top into the salt when I retrieve line. No corrosion.
Herb

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 07:51AM

I would also say that the Recoils are hands down the lightest and one of the most corrosion resistant guides out there,and if you want the lightest,crispest feeling fly rod then you won't do better than them.If other issues such as longer fly line and guide life,and smooth,quiet casting are more important to you that that then high end ceramics like the Fugi Ti SIC Concepts are the ticket(your rod won't feel quite as light in the tip as with the Recoils though).

Regarding comparisons between the two of them,I was weighing some spey lines and tips the other night with my rather sweet new digital mini scale and after reading this post decided to weigh both a small loop Recoil tip top(RTTUL-S) and a size 6 ring Fugi Ti SIC Concept top(TFST6),both with the same size barrels(both fit size 5.0 tips) and the Fugi was roughly twice the weight of the Recoil top.The Fugi was still light but the Recoil was considerably lighter,no question about it and you could tell the difference in your hand.

I also made some ring size comparisons and the inside ring size of the smallest Recoil fly top is around the same size as their size 2 single foot fly guide.I don't have a large size top(RTTUL-L model) but I hear it is very big,closer to a size 5 or larger single foot wire guide so a comparible size ceramic top would be huge and weigh a ton.Compared to the Fugi tops,the small Recoil top is only a little bit(it's hard to get the exact sizes as one is round and the other slightly more pear shaped) smaller than the inside of a size 8 ring Fugi Ti SIC Concept top yet is 1/2 the weight of a size 6 ring Fugi TFST top.

Even though the ring size of the small Recoil top is MUCH larger inside than the size 6 Fugi TFST,it is still a far lighter tip top and these are the size tops that I'm guessing most builders would probably use on 6wt and under rods should they choose to use Recoils or Fugi Ti/SIC Concept guides.The only real negatives that I have heard about the Recoils are the looks of them(even I have to admit that they don't look anywhere near as good as even the cheapest chrome plated wire fly tip tops but I rarely look at the tip top much),the possible extra noise(compared to ceramics they are VERY noisy) that many claim when using Recoil guides,and that due to being made of a softer material,they are not as long term durable as other guides,especially ceramics.

I wish I could give exact numbers here now but unfortunately as I was messing around with my scale weighing the guides,and before I could remember to write anything down,I somehow pressed a few too many buttons or overloaded it or something and now it is no longer properly calibrated so the numbers vary back and forth now by a little bit instead of restarting at 0.0 each time and I have to try and estimate the difference between them to get approximate weights.It's not a real big deal for heavier things like spey lines but it's now pretty useless for things like guides.Apparently to re calibrate it I now need to find something that weighs exactly 100g,200g,300g,400g,or 500g and use that weight to re set the scale.Of course I can't find anything that weighs "exactly" one of those weights because the scale I would use to make sure the weight being used is correct doesn't work now,LOL! Looks like I'll be better off just grabbing a couple more little scales(they were only $7.50 including shipping anyways).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 08:46AM by Tony Dowson.

Date: November 29, 2009 09:04AM

Tony,
Beautiful.

Re noise - yes recoils ( don't know if it is the s/f guides or tip-top, or both), but the noise goes away when line is wet and clean. If line is dry - lawn casting - or dirty the noise is heightened.

Only noticeable thing to me is that stripping against a ceramic stripper feels smoother than through a recoil stripper - but only if the line is textured. Sometimes I use recoils all the way - sometimes just the runners - but I always use them, and the tip-top, in every rod.
Herb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/29/2009 11:58AM by Herb Ladenheim.

Posted by: Mike Ediger (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: November 29, 2009 03:43PM

This is exactly the type of info I was looking for.
Thanks for such a detailed discussion.
Mike

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster