I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Decal Size
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:38AM

Any easy way to get a decal size without being a Math major? Have read thru some of the past posts, and it seems alot of the methods are very involved. If I dont want the logo to wrap the entire rod, could I use my caliper to get the circumfrence and then divide it by 3.14 as Decal Connection suggests, and then just get my desired length? Or am i way off. Guess one gets the feel as they do things, but I would rather do it right the first time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Decal Size
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:55AM

Your caliper will give you the diameter. To get the circumference you'd multiply that by 3.14. But you don't need to do any of that if you just want a decal that doesn't wrap all the way around the rod.

Here's what I would suggest. Put a piece of tape on the rod where you want the decal to be. Make a rough sketch or outline of the decal size as you want it to appear on the rod. Then peel the tape off and measure the height and depth of your sketch with a ruler or tape measure.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.excelsior.edu)
Date: November 24, 2009 11:19AM

So in other words if I wanted a wrapped decal, I would use my digital caliper to measure the diameter at each end of the decal, and then multiply by 3.14 to get the circumfrence at each end of the decal. This would infact allow me to get the decal in a wrapped version for the rod. If I just wanted to get a decal for the side of the rod, I could probably also just use the caliper reading which would give me the diameter of the rod area I would like the decal placed, and then determine a desired length. Thanks Tom, I think I will use all the mentioned techniques and determine which one works best. Thanks again, and happy holidays

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 11:20AM by Jay Burns.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2009 11:20AM

Yes you could do that. Or, you could make a tape band, the length you desire and wrap it all the way around the rod. Slit it up the backside, remove it, lie it flat and then take your measurements from that.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 11:32AM

What I did was use Word Perfect and typed in about 8 or so different ponts sizes with what I wanted it to read. Put a space between them and marked them each. Then printed them out. This way different blank diameters I wrap them around the blank to see which I could use. keep the sheet for future use.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 24, 2009 12:07PM

Before I order a label for each rod, I simply print it in MS Word and cut it out. Then I hold it up against the blank to decide if I like the size, length, etc. IMO, it is the easiest way to judge the balance.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster