I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need some start up advice
Posted by: Gary Howard (---.sub-70-192-247.myvzw.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 09:52PM

I am wanting to know how to get started. Are there any good recomendations as to what I should buy for a power wrapper and dryer? It looks like there is a wide range from not to expensive to pricey. Any suggestions as to what should be looking at??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need some start up advice
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2009 10:14PM

I'd build a rod or two before I started spending money on power wrappers and dryers, unless you're absolutely sure you plan to be in this for the long haul.

You can build rods without any sort of special equipment. A couple home-made wooden V-jigs, a spool of thread in a coffee cup and the strand run between a couple books for tension. I built several dozen rods that way.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 12:23AM

I started about four years ago, coming up on my 70th rod, and I'm still using the cardboard box with V notches and the spool in a coffee cup with phone book for tension. I used to sit back in my recliner with a freshly epoxied rod wedged between my toes and rotating it while watching TV. I got epoxy in my toes one time too many and decided to get me a small drying motor. I'll still turn manually when using Permagloss. Take the money you would spend on the fancy equipment and put it towards building a couple inexpensive rods as Christmas/birthday/etc presents for nephews and nieces. You'll save enough to get some inexpensive reels too and that will help with learning the proper guide placement and test casting.

Date: November 24, 2009 01:02AM

Thanks for your reply James and got a kick out of the Epoxy on your toes part. :)

What do you do with 70 rods??

Date: November 24, 2009 01:07AM

Thanks Tom, sounds like good advice. I am pretty sure this is something I will enjoy doing (looking at retirement pretty soon) and love to fly fish. Based on the idea it is something I would stay with would you go with a medium price set up and then upgrade?? If so what would you suggest as a power wrapper and dryer. . . . . ??? Thanks Gary H

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:08AM

Check out the photo page under Equipment on wrappers

And here: [www.rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:25AM

"What do you do with 70 rods??"
Mostly gifts. I only kept twenty five of them so there's still pleanty of room for more :)

"love to fly fish"
Pack rods, brush rods, float, you'll get hooked and wonder what you've been doing without dozens of rods to choose from to make for the perfect outing

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 24, 2009 10:32AM

Any of the machines sold by American Tackle, Batson Enterprises or Pacific Bay would be good enough that you'd never have to upgrade.

You might also look at the wooden wrappings from The Rod Shop, Inc. Their Eco-Wrapper has a great many fans. It's very unique.

If you want to be able to do about everything under the sun including light duty turning, then the Renzetti or Custom Power Wrap might be the ticket. But there's no use buying far more than you'll ever need.

Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 11:30AM

I built myself a wooden hand wrapper with plans that were in Rodmaker when I first got started. I used it for about five years and then upgraded to the Pac Bay RW3XL. I'm glad I had the handwrapper first, it was more than adequate for the job. The powerwrapper just simplifies things a bit for me. Over the years I added a drill press, scroll saw, bench grinder, wood lathe. etc. etc.

But, you don't need it to start. Start simple and learn the basics.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:41PM

Gary,
Since you want to do something, why don't you build your own power wrapper and dryer. It is not that hard and you can save a considerable amount of money.

If you have some machine skills it is a pretty easy job.

If you have questions, just drop me an e-mail

hflier@comcast.net

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 24, 2009 01:45PM

Is a power wrapper an advantage for your average fly rod build? Given the guide sizes it hardly seems worth it. I could see getting a small lathe (for handle/grips/etc) and sticking with a hand wrapper.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 12:46AM

Russell,
Likely not.
However, if you get into building a lot of rods, your hands will really appreciate the power wrapper.
A good hand wrapper can likely wrap rods as fast or even faster than one who uses a power wrapper.
However, at the end of the day, the one who is using a power wrapper will have hands that are not tired.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 08:06PM

Start with a simple hand wrapper and for a little more money, you can buy or make a thread tensioning device to get away from books. Better thread control makes it easier to learn the wrapping process if you can be hands free and not worry about losing tension.

All the other suggestions are great. If you find yourself building a lot of rods and especially boat or surf rods with underwraps then you might consider a power wrapper.

Terry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster