I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread selection info needed
Posted by: Frank Downey (---.btlral.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 05:03AM

I am giong to buy a casting rod kit from @#$%& for my first rod to build and the kit is the SPG843 E-Glass.What is the best colors for thread would go with the rod,I'm thinking about the Cobalt blue for the under wraps and Candy apple for the overwraps.Give me your opinions please.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread selection info needed
Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 07:53AM

I don't believe that I would put an underwrap on that particular blank, unless you are just looking for looks, it will add weight and slow it down just a little. I generally only use underwraps on my saltwater builds.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 23, 2009 10:19AM

I agree on the underwraps - not needed by on a heavier rod they won't spoil much of anything.

I think you are going to be happier with putting darker colors over lighter ones. Blue over red is going to work better than red over blue.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 12:51PM

Just to pipe in here with a slightly contrarian thought: I believe the amount of extra weight added by an under wrap is negligible. And while I will occasionally wrap a rod without an under wrap, I have yet to see a rod thus wrapped that I think can hold a candle (looks-wise) to a rod that is wrapped with a well-coordinated under and over wrap. (I am expecting a missile lobbed in my direction from Bill Stevens, who likes black on black.)
This may stem from all my early custom rods (the ones I bought) having under and over wraps. Much like the lack of a trim wrap below the tip-top, a rod without an under wrap just looks unfinished to me. The only exception is a bamboo fly rod, where a silk wrap looks simple and elegant.
I am in total agreement with Tom that you will usually want your light color as the under wrap. Sometimes I make an exception to this on a saltwater rod where I use A weight thread for an under wrap and then D as an over wrap. If you are wrapping with A weight only, stick to keeping the light color underneath.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 01:08PM

If weight savings is the issue, you may want to think about false underwraps. By that. I mean wrap it so that it gives the appearance of having underwraps, when in fact, it does not.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 07:09PM

Pardon me Frank - it is necessary that I deal with a situation! I simply love your choice of colors for you new rod! Go for the gusto - put a picture of your work on the photo board when complete for all to admire.

Missiles are expended only on targets that pose a threat to denizens of the Cajun Marsh! A hot tailpipe is the only thing needed to scorch the turf of those in Florida who initiate hostilities.

Click if you dare:

Headed To Florida!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

[www.rodbuilding.org]

)> Gon Fishn

Posted by: Frank Downey (---.btlral.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: November 25, 2009 08:06PM

I amy be wrong but I love the red and blue colors,Is there anywhare a color chart that can show up the colors on a rod or something like that to make color selection easier I just don't know how to forsee what it will look like before hand and you wonder why my wife buys my cloths for me.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster