I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for 8ft crankbait rod for 200 and 300 bandits
Posted by: addison hughes (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:15PM

looking for 8ft crankbait rod for bandit 200 or 300

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for 8ft crankbait rod for 200 and 300 bandits
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:23PM

Castaway 963 or 964.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:44PM

Yup, 964.

Date: November 22, 2009 09:46PM

where to buy the 964 blank you taik about

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:51PM

Addison, click on the Swampland link on left. I love my 964! [www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 09:53PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 10:02PM

Addison this really has been a well discussed topic on this fourm in the last six months. Most of it started with a thread on this fourm - [rodbuilding.org] - click on it and take a read.

Many custom builders are now using the series of Castaway XP3 graphite blanks for crank rods. The XP3 963, 964 and 965 cover most cranking lures from Small Bandits to Deep Divers, DD22. The blanks can be used with a set of micro guides for long throw crank bait rods; have the proper action and back end power needed.

The 964 was featured at the Castaway Booth at ICAST 2009 - weighed in under three ounces.

Please use the contact us Button at [www.swamplandtackle.com] and arrange for a personal contact.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 10:15PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: November 22, 2009 10:42PM

mr .stevens look at web site and looks like the 964 and 963 are out of stock

Posted by: Bill Pulk-Midwest rod and reel (64.122.91.---)
Date: November 23, 2009 03:54AM

ADDISON TAKE A LOOK AT THE BATSON CRANKBAIT ROD BLANKS,,,THE CB80MH AND THE CB80H WOULD BOTH FIT BE A GOOD FIT...AND WE DO HAVE THEM IN STOCK AT MIDWEST ROD AND REEL...HERES A LINK TO CHECK THEM OUT,,,
[www.midwestrodandreel.com]

Bill@midwestrodandreel.com
www.midwestrodandreel.com

Posted by: Capt alan beck (---.txr.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 05:22AM

hey guys
theres a reason there out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: November 23, 2009 10:14AM

Addison please use the Contact Us Link:

Blanks are available for shipment:

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 12:41PM

Addison,
You'll be very happy with the Castaway 963 or 964. The 963 is very similar in power to a Loomis CBR903. It has a very soft tip, great for baits like the 200. I've sold a bunch of 963s to Loomis guys looking for something in 8' and they've all been very happy. The 964 is about 30% more powerful, but still nice and soft.

The Batson CB80MH is also a nice blank and is between the 964 and 965 in power. I'd rate it medium heavy versus medium for the 964 and medium to medium light for the 963. The Batson CB80H is a very powerful crankbait rod and too much for the Bandit 200 and 300. It's a great rod for DD22s or Mann's 30+, but it's too much rod for the smaller baits you're wanting to throw. It's heavy power would also be good for small swimbaits or some of the big top waters.

Robert

Date: November 23, 2009 01:31PM

Thanks Guys - Gena Box, President of Castaway read all your comments - she released blanks to us and they will be in stock in the morning!

All of them will be available for shipment in matte black and stunning light metallic blue! Try Blue Dunn to make the thread wrap completely blend with the blue blank.

Swampland is also a Batson distributor and has the eight foot blanks in stock ready for delivery.

Use the link to make personal contact for a personal kitting of all components for a high performance micro Kranker!

[www.swamplandtackle.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2009 10:48AM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 02:45PM

Robert, thanks for the info on the Batson CB blanks. That is the first first-hand report I have heard.

Bill - Metallic blue sounds interesting.

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 07:24PM

All great info on those cranking blanks. I see Batson is offering their crankbait rods in 8 foot now. I was considering using the IP963, IP964, and the IP965 for cranking. Any input would be much appreciated.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 24, 2009 12:05AM

Greg,
I've built on one of the 8' Batson popping and I think it was the 964. It was over a year ago and my memory is a little fuzzy because I only built the one. Maybe Karry can chime in because he recommended the blank when I was looking for an 8' for cranking and I seem to remember he thought the 963 would be too soft. It was very similar to the Castaway 963. In fact the guy I built the Batson IP964 for has some of the Castaway XP3 963s and says they are very very similar in action and power. I only built the one because the Swampland boys started carrying the 8' Castaways not long after and they had 3 options that all work great for cranking. Now that Batson has 8' cranking blanks, you could slot the IP964 as the medium/ medium light, the IP965 as the medium, the CB80MH as the medium heavy and the CB80H as the heavy and have a nice selection for all your cranking needs.

Maybe the Swampland guys can chime in. They are a Batson and Castaway dealer so they can offer a direct comparison if they have an IP964 in stock. I'm more diligent now about putting my blanks on the board and getting real data, but I was in a big rush to get the IP964 done. It was the first 8' blank I tried for cranking and the guy had been wanting one for over a year.

Robert

Date: November 24, 2009 10:47AM

The best way to get a handle on this discussion is with a picture -

Use the duplicate blank test board - adjust to zero deflection and equal length - same handle supports and length in this case seven inches - load them with identical weights. Also use the CCS System to record AA and ERN. Keep this data for comparative use.

Carefully analyze the results -

Slight visual differences may yield the outcome you need for a specific build -

A is Castaway - B is Batson

Click on: [www.rodbuilding.org]

What do you seek? What is the fishermans skill level to differentiate between the two -

More Power - Moderate Action - More Back End Power - Softer Tip - Time to hook penetration - Shock Absorber

The keys to all the above are contained in the photo - although subtle differences the impact on lures is significant. Does this say that one is better than the other - no. Does in demonstrate the strenths of both - yes.

You can use this information with weight of build, modulus, transition and number of of prepegs utilized and blank diameters at butt and tip to select the desired blank for the specific task .

Robert has been correct in all of his previous assessments on this subject. Serious crankbait fishermen can tell the difference in the two blanks. A custom builder would be best served for his customers benefit if both were in stock for demonstration purposes.

This information is required if you are dealing with a highly skilled bass fisherman who historically uses a glass fiber containing rod for crank fishing.

For both - [www.swamplandtackle.com]

Posted by: Gregg Austin (---.dsl.klmzmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 24, 2009 07:30PM

Wow- Very detailed answer couldn't ask for much more...Thank you

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster