I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

can't get started
Posted by: James Palmatier (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 02:30PM

About 3 years ago I got all the parts and a blank to make a flipping stick. Then I got tom's book and some dvds. However I can't seem to get started. I can't tell where to put the reel seat? It seems I have a mental block how do I attach the reel seat I don't want to use masking tape. I also subscribed to rod maker a couple years ago. Please help me get started.
Thank you
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can't get started
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2009 02:34PM

All that is in the book, including several methods for attaching the reel seat. If you've been getting the magazine for several years you also have additional information on how to locate the seat and many, many things to use as arbors and bushings.

Re: can\'t get started
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: November 22, 2009 04:36PM

Not to sound unhelpful but Toms right......you already HAVE great information right in your hands. In that book look on Chapter 5, page 23. Look at the pictures there. They show several types of ways to make bushings and the chapter tells you how to mount grips and seats. There is a chapter one or two before that one that talks all about adhesives and how to choose and use the right one for what your doing.

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 04:39PM

You can use Dry wall tape (not paper) Foam arbors,Cork arbors or masking tape

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 04:39PM

You can use Dry wall tape (not paper) Foam arbors,Cork arbors or masking tape

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 05:11PM

James, I'm just getting started. The hard part is getting over the notion that you are going to do it "right" the first time. Or that you can't afford to "waste money" making mistakes.

Once you learn that nobody has ever built a perfect rod and the only way to learn is by making mistakes you will be on your way. There is a time to think and plan, then there is a time to do. I can promise that it is easy to make something that fishes better than what you can buy. I can also promise the fish won't notice what color the thread is and how you glued the handle on.

Perhaps a good way to start is by going to the store with tape measure in hand. Pick some rods you like and some you don't. It won't take long to get an idea where you like your reel seat. Masking tape is widely used in the industry and even worse things. Sure there are better ways but it will work just fine so don't sweat the small stuff. Just get a handle that fits your hand and do what needs to be done to make it fit the blank.

Next thing on the list is pick a good vendor that knows how to build rods for your style of fishing and spend some time on the phone. Be honest and tell them a budget up front. They can save you lots of time and money. Or you can be stubborn like me and think you can teach yourself only to end up with 47 guides in sizes you will never use and none of the ones you need!

Post where you live and what you fish for, along with your tackle. Might be someone local who can help.

Posted by: John Krukemeier (---.dsl.ipltin.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 08:08PM

Sounds to me like you just need a helping hand, one on one help. Have you any local flyfishing clubs that you could join? Usually there are a few in the clubs that make their own rods and would be more than happy to showoff what they know. Also, many fly shops have classes on rod buildings. Join the class and be with others in your same situation.

Posted by: James Palmatier (---.pghk.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 08:17PM

I am in Newburgh NY and I fish for bass out of a boat.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:02PM

I`m not from New York, but I think Newbergh is an hour from NYC. If you click on NERBS from the list to the left, you may find a great rod builder in your general area. You also may find some one if you click on directory at the top of this page.

Remember it is better to make mistakes and learn something than to do nothing. It takes a little while, but what a great way to spend your time. Especially when you go fishing with the rod you built. My first ones are down right ugly although they fish really nice.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:03PM

I`m not from New York, but I think Newbergh is an hour from NYC. If you click on NERBS from the list to the left, you may find a great rod builder in your general area. You also may find some one if you click on directory at the top of this page.

Remember it is better to make mistakes and learn something than to do nothing. It takes a little while, but what a great way to spend your time. Especially when you go fishing with the rod you built. My first ones are down right ugly although they fish really nice.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: David Garland (---.hcrdtn.dsl.dynamic.tds.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 09:06PM

James,

Your first rod can be intimidating, but as Russell said, don't be concerned about making a mistake.

You said you already have the parts to build your rod. I assume that you then have your rear grip. Let the rear grip locate the reel seat. Slide the grip down the rod and glue it in place, adjusting as necessary for any butt cap you may be using. Since this is your first rod I would let the rear grip set until it is fixed. This will locate the reel seat when you slide it down the rod to the grip.

Have fun!

Posted by: Donald Newenhouse (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 10:48PM

You stated that you already have Toms book and some tapes.By chance did you get Flex Coat Rod Building" How we do it " by Roger Seider ??? Great tape. Watch that a few times and it should spark an intrest to get started.
The Expo is coming up in N.C,If you can make that, that should really spark your intrest BIG TIME.

Good luck,and have fun.Oh yea! If you do get started, you just can't stoooppp!!!! <<<< DON >>>>

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 11:33PM

James,
If you don't want to use masking tape to attach the reel seat, the easiest thing to do is to use a poly arbor.
Ream the correctly sized arbor to fit your blank, then glue the arbor and reel seat to your blank.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 11:47PM

If the components you now have seem to spendy to start out for a first build, order a kit from Mudhole at the left. Order a cheaper inexpensive kit, in about the action and speed you are interested in getting. Build that one first. Or as the others are saying, build one, do not be afraid to make a mistake. my wife is the builder here. She has been building a few years. I have helped her, setting and building handle/seat assys. and stuff. And also I get to spec the stuff out. We fish together all the time, and have fun building together. Now I am doing the complete building myself also, under her watchfull eye! Took me a while to do it, but now it is easier. I am no where near the level as some of these folks here, but everyone starts somewhere.
There is a great assembly of excellent builders here. I just read and learn, as do almost everyone on here. You have the info. already to build. Just start, and you will be fine. Any problems, throw a post up, soon you will have the answers. Just do not epoxy the threaded barrel and hoods together as I did on my first one! I forgot to NOT screw the hood all the way up to the cork, letting epoxy oze into it!
Good Luck!
Kyle Robinson

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 11:59AM

I think that Kyle has a very good idea.
It always makes sense to practice something first. Certainly an inexpensive rod building kit is a wonderful idea to get started.
Also, if you are not close to a teacher, the use of a rod building DVD to have next to the workbench while building is about as close to a tutor as you can have.

Certainly one of the hardest things to do with something new, is to do the first thing.

Once you have built one rod, you will feel more confident. As your rod building numbers increase, it will all become easier.

Take care
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster