I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bass Blanks - RX7 vs. RX8?
Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 10:13AM

I have built on quite a few RX7's and been very happy with them. Just wondering, how much lighter the RX8's feel when built up. Not wanting to compare just catalog weights, but "feel/balance".

Thanks!

Marc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bass Blanks - RX7 vs. RX8?
Posted by: Scott Sheets (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 11:25AM

I personally don't think you can compare the two. The RX8's feel much better to me than the RX7's. Other than a few moving bait techniques I don't use the RX7's anymore....if only they would build an XSB802.75....then I would be set.

Scott Sheets
www.smsrods.com

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 21, 2009 03:39PM

I'm with Scott. The RX8 is a completely different blank. I find the actions to be faster with the RX8, though they are rated the same. I also find them to be much crisper and more sensitive. The RX7s are nice blanks and represent a good value, but the RX8s are tops. There are a few RX8 models I would put up against any blank, regardless of price.

Posted by: Emory Harry (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 08:25PM

Robert,
I am in complete agreement with you. I build more Salmon and Steelhead rods than Bass rods but I have built qite a few of the rainshadow RX8+ and I think that they are the finest Bass blanks that I have had my hands on.

Scott,
It is my understanding that these blanks have been very successful and they are going to significantly expand the line.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 01:28AM

What about Durability ?? My understanding is they make them -- maybe -- with better glues, but with thinner walls ?? And there fore a rod you have to -- baby sit --

What is the difference -- other then Price. I can understand the weight thing.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2009 01:30AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 22, 2009 10:16AM

Bill,

You're dealing with more than the material - there is a finished structure involved. You may find that they actually have thicker walls and in that case they won't be necessarily less durable than the RX7's are.

During our work breaking blanks for the upcoming RodMaker article, by far the toughest blanks to break from impacts and fractures were the blanks made from the highest modulus material. The beating they took and lived through was almost unbelievable - none of the blanks made from lower modulus materials withstood similar abuse without quickly failing. But you don’t want to read the wrong thing into this - these were also the heaviest walled blanks out of the bunch which explains why they were so resistant to impact abuse. But it does point out that when you discuss rod toughness or durability you have to look at more than just the fiber it was made from - the particular structure utilized plays an important role as well.

The Batsons can probably fill you on what type structure their RX8 line utilizes - smaller diameter, thicker walls, or larger diameter, thinner walls. If the structure is reasonably substantial, you won't have to "baby sit" it, although no rod blank should be expected to be carelessly bumped and banged around and live to a ripe old age.

Posted by: Terry Kirk (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 10:27AM

I had the pleasure of using one all summer. We were looking for a blank that would replace some of the Shikaris we use. It's a lightweight blank with lots of power in the butt section and an extremely fast tip. To date I have found nothing that compares with its speed in this price range. I gave it a real good test on walleye and crappie and even put extra effort in checking its durability, it passed with an A plus rating. I have ordered 4 more of these 822.5's. The only downside i could find is that if you catch it under a boat cleat it will snap, just like everything else out there!! Under normal fishing conditions and pressures, there is no better blank for the ROI out there that i can find for my buddies and my application.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 23, 2009 12:50PM

Bill,
All the RX8s I have used were thin diameter thick walled. I have not found them to be any less durable than similar blanks from other manufacturers.

Robert

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 23, 2009 01:36PM

I only asked cause I read here some were having trouble. Walls thin. Perhaps companies are upgrading the blanks ? I love the RX 7's just got nervous with any thing higher.

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster