I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

bubbles in finish
Posted by: brandon edwards (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 08:36PM

Finished a rod last nite and didn't stay with it long enough. This morning it had bubbles all in the guide wraps. How can I get rid of them? Hairdryer? Will it work after it has already hardened? It's been nearly 24 hrs now since application. Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bubbles in finish
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:26PM

No, once the finish has set, they're in the finish permanently.

You can sand a bit and recoat, or strip and rewrap. But a hair dryer applied 24 hours after the finish has been applied isn't going to do anything other than increase your electric bill by a buck or two this month.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:30PM

Nope, they are in there for good unless they are right at the surface and might be removed with some very light sanding. Most importantly you need to know why they are there, they shouldn't be!

Were there bubbles in the epoxy mix when it was applied? This is what it sounds like may have happened as they are in "all the wraps." If so, they should have been eliminated before applying to the wraps.

If they happened after the application of the epoxy to the wraps, it may have been in the application process. Things like brushing can cause these.

If you are able to get to them with some light sanding (don't sand the thread) another coat of epoxy on top should fix it.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 20, 2009 03:08AM

If they are near the surface, you an CAREFULLY shave them out with a sharp razor blade, the new application of finish will fill them, careful to not cut the threads.

DR

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 04:51PM

Brandon, here are a few tips that I have learned about reducing bubbles or fully eliminate them. First, when mixing, go somewhat slowly with the mixing stick. I usually mix for about 3 min with 3 cc of each part. Second I pour the epoxy onto a small 4 inch plate covered with foil. The epoxy will level out and some bubbles will come out there when they rise to the surface. Third when putting on the finish I do use a brush and cover all the wraps, then I go over the rod with a small straw and blow out any bubbles that are still hanging around. If it is a first coat on wraps that haven't been treated with CP you may still get some to "come out" of the thread and I just keep an eye on the rod while it is turning. Every once in a while I get dinged with a bubble that I missed. I either try to sand it out or cut it with a razor blade and recoat the wrap. Like the folks stated above, go light on the sanding, if you get into the thread it will show if you try to cover it with a second coat. I took an old set of small files, like the ones a gunsmith would use and I glued some light grit sand paper to them. It gives me better control when sanding one out so I do not get the blank. A disposable nail file will work to, but they are a bit large for me.
On another note for using the plate covered with foil, this will increase the pot life of your mixed epoxy too. All of these tips that I use were picked up here, neat thing about this site, so many good ideas to try.
I have found that Thread Master Lite is the best so far of the epoxies that I have tried for having the least amount of bubbles in it from mixing. Just my opinion.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 20, 2009 05:10PM

Also use thin finish. I use thick finish and thin it. I mix with one half a mixing stick, and check to see if any fine bubbles are in it before I apply. No need for poring into a tray.

Also if the temps are high it will set faster keeping them in the finish.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Gerald Guinn (---.knology.net)
Date: November 21, 2009 11:52PM

I live in Huntsville, AL and we have a local joke here that if you ask 10 guys which is the best way to Atlanta (about 200 mi distant), you will get about 15 different answers (and, interestingly enough, all will be right!). Once a year I teach a rodbuilding class and I use this analogy for "which is the best way to apply finish". After several years of frustration and trying the "different ways to Atlanta" (excuse me, I mean the different ways to apply finish), I came up with one that works best for me, and because it virtually eliminates bubbles, is quick , is simple and it levels nicely.

The steps are as follows:

(1) Use Flexcoat regular, or high build (not lite)
(2) Heat syringes a few minutes with a spotlight or floodlight
(3) Dispense 1 1/2 cc or more of each into a mixing cup (have had no problem curing this small quantity)
(4) Use a mechanical mixer (the kind that rotates the cup at about 45 deg. angle, mine is homemade) for about 4 minutes
(5) Apply directly from the cup with a metal spatula (note: a brush introduces air bubbles) with rod rotating about 90 RPM which gives a nice clean edge (speed not critical but certaintly much faster than dryer speed). I find no benifit to pouring the mix onto foil because, using the mixer, there are no bubble to begin with
(6) Place on dryer overnight
(7) Apply three thin coats, removing excess each time with the spatula

After much experimentation, I believe that the keys to a bubble free finish are the mechanical mixer and the spatula. Only very rarely do I ever have to bring out the soda straw.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 12:46AM

I have to comment on the use of any kind of a thinner in rod finish.

Epoxy cures by a chemical reaction. If there is any unevaporated thinner in the mix during the chemical cure or kick of the mixture, it is possible to trap solvent in the mix during the cure of the epoxy causing a softer or cloudy finish.

If one does things like spreading the mix on a plate to both slow the cure rate, as to also allow the solvent evaporate, so much the better.

However, I think that for most folks, they will have an overall better finish with no added thinners in the finish mix.

If a fellow has a method that works, go for it.

I just think that generally speaking, it is NOT a good idea to add any thinner chemical into a 2 part epoxy finish.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 22, 2009 02:39AM

Roger :

There has to be some type of additive to thin out finish when they make the heavy one coat and the thin finishes ?? What ever they use-it thins it out.

Even Flex Coat say it thins out there first coat, Check there site.

My finish drys well ! No problems in 4-5 years of use plus. I cut out a step. Quicker to use.

It is the old KISS method

All finishes do not - fully - cure -- until at least 5 - 7 days..

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster