I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Help needed fast...
Posted by: Wade White (---.dsl.iowatelecom.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 05:40PM

Okay, so I put the second coat of TM lite on about 6 hours ago and my 2.5 year old decides, "Hey cool looking rod Dad, what happens if I touch it?". Well, I don't know if that was his exact thought, but I have big problems now. This rod I'm donating to a DU banquet and it's tomorrow. So how do I get the finger print and what appears to be either lint or cereal dust out of the wrap?!! The only thing I can think of is let it dry for another 6 hours, hit it with some sort of abrasive to get the "lint" out of the wrap and quick hit it with another coat yet tonight so it's dry by tomorrow eve.

Deep breath, in..................out...................in.......................out..................

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help needed fast...
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 19, 2009 05:50PM

Put a light on it and "bake" the affected area. TM Lite takes forever to cure on its own. Then remove the impurities and recoat, bake again. Truthfully, you were already in trouble since the finish needs to be left alone for 2-3 days before handling in a public environment.

Date: November 19, 2009 06:04PM

Thanks Jim. Just so I'm on the same page as you and understand what's going on. By "baking" it I'm essentially speeding up the curing process. Then I can somehow remove the lint (which there seems to be quite a bit of) and recoat from there.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 06:18PM

I'd recoat with regular TM if it were me - after you do what Jim suggested.

Good luck! Hope it works out.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 06:26PM

Tough time problem. If I felt I could remove the bad area in some way now, such as razor blade or solvent, I'd do so ASAP and recoat. If it isn't too much work, perhaps cut it off and start over. Given what is on the line I'd feel better knowing it was taken care of now.

Date: November 19, 2009 06:40PM

I don't know if I could get two coats built up quick enough if i were to cut it off and start over.

I guess if all else fails tell the winning bidder that I'm not satified with the craftsmanship and I'd be happy to deliver or send the finished rod to them. (That's Plan C)

Plan A - Bake it and see if I can get the lint out quick and recoat. See how it looks. If not so good see Plan B.

Plan B - Cut the whole thing off and rewrap and try and get two quick coats on ASAP. (Not sure how long between applications) If still not satified.

Plan C- (Stated above).

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 06:52PM

Plan D -- don't get into this type of situation. It takes time to do certain things -- coating and drying times. You only have so much control over this. tell him it will take so much time - like it or not ?? What else can one do. I can not walk on water either !!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 08:47PM

Wade,
If the finish is still soft, hit it with Xylene.
This will strip off the finish pretty quickly without affecting the wraps. (If it does affect the wraps, cut the guide off the rod and retie the guide back on the rod and recoat.
Cutting the guide off and retying will be quicker than letting a coat cure, trying to clean it up and putting on another coat of finish. You should be able to cut off the old guide, clean up the rod and have the new guide tied back on with a coat of finish on the rod in under an hour. When working on the rod, don't touch any of the rest of the fnish that is still tacky.
Recoat, and heat up to quicken the cure. You will be good to go.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple of years ago. I had coated a rod, and left it in the dryer for about 3 hours.
When I came down and checked, I found that the dryer had moved down the bench and one of the guides and interferred with the felt lined rod rest. As a result, the guide was well coated with lint, felt etc.
The cure was too far along to just wipe off. Since I was under the gun to ship the rod the next morning, I hit the guide with some heat and cut the guide off the rod. I wiped down the rod, put it back on the wrapper and rewrapped the guide - being very careful to stay away from the rest of the finish that was still tacky. I lined up the guide, recoated, let it flow out and hit the entire room with 95 degree heat for the rest of the night.
I pulled the rod off the wrapper at noon the next day and had it in the afternoon shipments to the client.

Good Luck
Roger

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.automatededm.com)
Date: November 20, 2009 01:14PM

I've not tried this, but I am wondering what would happen if you were to take some 600 800 or 1000 grit paper and wet sand the area that is finger printed and cereal dusted.

I had to chuckle, I have a 3-year old that thinks fishing rods are the bomb, particularly the ones that Daddy is in the process of working on.

Good luck.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: November 20, 2009 01:44PM

Those darn 2 and a half year olds are something aren't they......all my rod work gets done at nap or bedtime or in a room that I can keep him out of for this very reason. He got into some of my epoxy marbling one day while it was wet......at least it was a first try at marbling and a practice piece, I feel for you wade. I would let the winner of the rod know what happened and do it right.

Date: November 23, 2009 09:17AM

Well the winning bidder was understanding of the situation and he's a local guy. I'll be rewrapping those two wraps and delivering it to him in the near future. Thank you all for your input. I'm going to chalk this one up to a huge learning experience.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.)
Date: November 30, 2009 12:11PM

?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster