I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

More on too much heat
Posted by: Cornell Bowden (---.126.28.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 05:52PM

I need to remove the tip from a St. Croix Legend blank that has been applied with U-40 rod bond. Trondak says it melts at 200 degrees. Has anyone tried using hot (boiling) water to apply heat instead of hot air? I really don't want to lose 3" of the tip as in the post below.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: More on too much heat
Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:10PM

I have used alcohol burners, although it has to be watched extremely close as not to burn the blank. I seems to me steaming it off as you state would work. Let us know if you do it that way, it might catch on. At least I would try it anyway.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:23PM

If you are going to use heat, have some one hold the rod while try pulling the tip straight of with a pliers while applying heat. That way the tip will come off as soon as the bond is broken. Make sure that you keep constant STRAIGHT pull and don't twist

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:45PM

In addition to what Mike stated, use the Method that Tom put out on this forum some time ago.

Obtain a heavy rubber band. Tie a cord on one side of the rubber band. Slip a paper clip over and through the rubber band on the other side of the ban.
Put the end of the paper clip through the rod tip.
Tie the cord to a door knob or some other stationary object.
Stretch the binder out a good bit by pulling in line on the blank.
Use a heat source to heat the tip. At the same time rotate the rod to get the tip heated uniformly.
As soon as the adhesive has softened enough, the stretched binder will pop the tip off the blank. This method insures that you are using only enough heat to get the glue soft enough to remove from the blank.

When you heat the tip without tension on the tip, it is fairly easy to overheat the tip and blank tip.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:49PM

Not sure that was my tip, but it's a good one nonetheless.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:16PM

That's the one that I was looking for!! Thanks, Roger

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:24PM

Just watch out for hot flying tip tops.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:25PM

Suggest you try the search feature and search for rod tip removal and look at the responses from two months ago and you'll find more details of the rubber band, paper clip method for removing a tip.
Bill

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.bos-dynamic.gis.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 08:48AM

Here what I do. I use a BBQ lighter and keep it moving while heating the tip. Pretty soon the bond will soften. I then use a small pliers to remove the tip. Disclaimer I'm not using Thornda as a bonding agent for the tip top.
This method will work as long as you keep the flame moving quickly. Bill

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster