I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

BP1266F spiral build for Kenai kings
Posted by: George Krumm (---.gci.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:57AM

I am planning on building a rod to be used primarily for backtrolling in the Kenai River using big jet divers and quickfish in heavy current, and of course chinook that will regularly exceed the 40 lb mark. I will also use this rod for bobber fishing for chinook in big rivers. The blank isn't all that fast and is 10.5' long so I anticipate having to offset the bumper to 100 or 110 degrees. I plan to use 65 lb braid and an Abu Revo Toro 61 on this rod. I understand the fundamentals of the simple spiral, but I have a few questions.

Do you think a 7 ring size for all guides but the butt guide, bumber and 2nd guide from the reel) is going to be big enough to easily pass a 30 lb dacron bobber stop tied onto 65 lb braid?

Will single foot guides Forhan wrapped (except for the first two guides closest to the reel and the bumber guide, which I assume should be be double footed ) be strong enough for this application?

What guide size and type for the bumper (single or double foot and what ring size) do you recommend for this application?

If any of you have build a similar rod for similar use I'd love to hear about your experience.

Thanks,

George

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: BP1266F spiral build for Kenai kings
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 18, 2009 09:36AM

There's really only one way to find out if that size guide will pass your required parts and pieces - try it. Someone else might be using a similar set up and will hopefully chime in, but if not, you'll just have to string some up and see how things pass.

I typically use a larger ring guide for the bumper guide, but use a low frame type and bend/shape it so that it sits down close to the blank.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 11:51AM

For the butt guide I would use a sz 25, Batson "U" series, or the new Alps series 2 foot guides.
The "H" ring should be tough enough, but you may want to use the harder Zirconia rings.
On a rod that stout using the tackle you describe, i would use 2 foot guides all the way, using size 8's after the butt guide.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 05:49PM

I agree with Ron.
Go with 2 foot guides in a size 8 after the butt guide.
I think that if you go with a 3 guide revolver wrap on the spiral, you will only need two guide sizes. i.e. a size 25 and a size 8.
Try both a simple spiral with a single bumper and then try a revolver with the 3 guide roll over and see which works best for the task you are doing. You can simply tape the guides in place and try running the line and retrieving the line under stress to get a good feel for the overall action.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: George Krumm (74.191.67.---)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:00PM

Thanks guys. The Batson folks also recommended sticking with double foot guides all the way to the tip; that kind of surprised me, hence I posed the question here as well. I guess I'll use a big butt guide, and double footed low frame 8s for all the other guides including the bumper and see how that works.

Funny, I've never seen a spiral wrapped rod on the Kenai. . . not for backtrolling, drifting, not even for backbouncing which would be a great application for a spiral. . .

George

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:09PM

Any spiral wrapped rod will be more Stable.

Posted by: George Krumm (74.191.67.---)
Date: December 04, 2009 06:51PM

Ron and Roger,

I got a size 25 guide for the butt guide. It looks giant. Why do I want to use a ring this big? Thanks,

George

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster