I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Im Green
Posted by: John Guthrie (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:41PM

Hello all,

I casually fished fresh water all my life. Jan. 09 I started taking my sm boat (13' Valco) to SD Bay and Mission Bay even out to the kelp. I am now HOOKED on saltwater fishing.

5 day ago my wife said she would buy me a nice rod and reel for my B-Day…..I only own Wal-Mart specials and am borrowing a rod and reel each from my 2 brothers (both fished the San Diego area since they could walk, 35 years plus). So I logged in on Bloodydecks and did some fast home work (I only had 20min before we left). Ended up getting a DAIWA Saltist LD30H w/izorline xxx 20lb on a TMC-80MH and found out it isn't cheap.

So, im great with my hands not afraid of work and have no problem / would prefer trying to build my own rods for me, friends and family.

Can you guys please direct? As of now I have nothing to build a rods…I would like to build a trolling rod to replace the last brother loaner.

Thanks,
John G

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2009 09:54PM by John Guthrie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Im Green
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:46PM

John,

There are ladies and youngsters that read and use this website. Please watch your language per our rules. Thanks.

Date: November 17, 2009 09:51PM

Sorry, I went to change it but it looks like you took it out for me. Thx I wont do it again.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:00PM

Ya came to the right place John,

First off, check out the FAQ and Library sections here. Try the Directory and see if there is a rod builder listed in your area.
Many of us would be happy to show you the ropes and help you get started in the right direction. If you can't find anyone contact me and I'll direct you to a couple guys.

Plenty of helpful folks here as well so don't be shy.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Kyle Robinson (---.cdrr.qwest.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:23AM

Look on Mudhole for their tutoriels. Kevin does a good job of explaining some basics.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:43AM

x2 on what Kyle said, that was my first dose into the insanity that's taken over my life.

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 07:43PM

John,
Suggest you check out @#$%& which is one of the sponsers. They are local to San Diego and can advise you on the components required for a trolling rod since a trolling rods can be different for a private boat compared to a San Diego sportfishing boat. They have kits using name brand blanks and components for various applications. Also they can advise you what equipment you will need to get hooked on rod wrapping.
Bill

Posted by: Bill Davidor (---.dsl.renocs.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 08:01PM

Correction,
John, @#$%& maybe closer to Los Angeles than San Diego but still in Southern California.
Bill

Date: November 18, 2009 08:48PM

OK, I have been watching the rod building 101 on Mud Hole and it looks like Im going to love this. At lunch I called them and talk to Brook, he will be sending a catalog and talked me into building my own rod-wrapping table. If anyone has prints or pics and tips on things to have or not have on the table it would be greatly appreciated. I have around 25years working with metal and was thinking of making one out of aluminum but I think it’s a better idea to make it out of wood first see what I like and how this art form works.

Can I add pictures to this thread? I would like to show you guys my progress, this way you can stop me if im headed down the wrong path (-:

Bill – Thanks for the tip. I will check @#$%& tonight.

I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas!!!!

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 09:00PM

John,
You can post pix on the PHOTO section. You will need to register there same as here.

The LIBRARY section has a tutorial for building your own hand wrapper.

The TOOLS section of the PHOTO board has lots of pix of different table & bench set-ups and
as matter of fact Tom K. just posted another photo of a moveable rod building bench that you
should see.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: November 18, 2009 10:05PM

Thanks Raymond,
They have sweet set-ups and some great ideas. Im going to start small and pathetic... but i will start (-:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster