I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing Rod Guides
Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 09:41PM

I have just completed wrapping all my guides on my rod. I wont get a chance to actually apply the epoxy to the wrapped guides for a couple days when my schedule free's up... Question for all you veteran rod builders: do most of you apply two coats of epoxy to the guides or am I good with just one. If I need to apply more than one coating, how long should I wait before applying the second coat. Any tips on applying the epoxy, will be using a Pac Bay Epoxy Mixer to help the mixing process... THANKS GUYS

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing Rod Guides
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:20PM

I like to use 3 coats of light applications for each one and I let the rod dry overnight. The first coat seems to penetrate the threads and then the second/thrid coats cover the threads where you don't see the individual threads. I once had to remove a guide after the first coat and I found that the finish had leached or seeped under the guide foot and really made a good bond to the rod base. I put the finish on with a small paint brush that I clean with alcohol after each use. I rotate the rod slowly while applying the finish with my brush hand supported to keep the brush steady and the finish even at the ends of the wrap.

I try and make absolutely sure that the 2 parts of epoxy are exactly equal in amount and after thoroughly mixing in the mixing cup I then pour the epoxy onto a plate covered with tinfoil. This helps eliminate most all of the bubbles from the mixture. After applying the finish to all of the guides I rotate the rod by hand for about an hour & a half and then the epoxy will not sag. I would suggest that you don’t apply very much epoxy to the wraps for each of the applications but if you do use the brush to wick off the excess.

This is the procedure that seems to work for me but I am only doing one rod at a time and have lots of free time to work. Hope this helps.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:37PM

I do a single coat of a Hi Build. I apply on my wrapper and a relatively fast speed and move to my dryer to dry. Dave gave you some good advise regardless if your epoxy or technique, make sure your 2 parts of epoxy are equal and don't use too much epoxy.

Posted by: Andrew Metzger (72.166.145.---)
Date: November 18, 2009 01:07AM

From a relative new guy, only a dozen or so rods into this. Brushes work well! get the finish on there quickly, then wait for it to do what it knows how, take off excess finish and then turn it. My first fly rod has footballs over the guide wraps.....nothing "wrong" with that, but for a 4wt fly rod, that's a ton of weight slowing the blank down. hindsight is 20/20, no regrets so far, but I wish I'd practiced more on practice pieces with finishing wraps than I did beforehand.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 06:19PM

I use two coats of CP and one coat of Classic hi build. I used to rotate mine by hand until I broke down and bought a lathe. Sometimes I think you can get a better more even finish by hand as you are paying alot more attention to sags etc where on a lathe I just put it on and let it spin over night. I usually check it once or twice but it never gets the attention that hand rotation does. As Andrew said, practice practice practice. I finally graduated to using a spatula to apply it and it comes out much more level. That to takes alot of practice.

Posted by: Peter White (---.37.248.123.adsl.snet.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 09:18AM

As a newbe I learned quickly that using an alcohol flame really helps to keep the epoxie level until it sets up.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 11:09AM

Jay,
I do the same as Robert.
One coat of high build works very well.
I apply the finish quickly, move it to my 6 rpm dryer and then go over each guide to insure that the finish is even and has flowed correctly. If necessary, I will use a bit of gentle heat, while on the slow rpm dryer to thin the finish a bit to get it to flow out if necessary. I will also remove any excess that might have been applied and also touch up any thin spots that might have occurred when moving the rod from the high speed to the low speed dryer.

I just use a heat gun - applied sparingly - to heat and let the finish flow if needed.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 19, 2009 01:07PM

One or two coats of CP unless I want a transparent look. Then two thin coats of finish. Most of the time a thick finish will like said be heavy in the center. I like cool temps to let it level out. First coat usually has at least one dust spot and has to be sanded. If not second coat. Fast turn then stop and let drip. All coats dry over night. Fast turn also helps with straight lines at ends of the wrap.

But it is all personal What ever works for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster