I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

too much heat?
Posted by: Thom Cherry (---.dhcp.insightbb.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:34AM

I am removing some old guides on a rod and have used a hair dryer with OK results.
My question is, would a heat gun be too much heat for the blank?

I have been able to remove 95% of the old epoxy, but there seems to be a residual film of the old epoxy on the blank that just seems to smear itself around when I try to scrape it off after applying the heat.

Any words of wisdom or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks Thom Cherry
Louisville, KY

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: too much heat?
Posted by: James Willard (---.ellicottschools.org)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:51AM

Since the finish on the blank might already be in trouble if you are re- doing a rod, that you could just scrape it off with a blade, or use acetone and take all the finish off, then just take some cheese cloth and apply a new coat of finish with perma gloss. I think that that might be the easiest way. If the finish situation on your rod is fine and you don't have permagloss another path would obviously be preferable. Good luck with the problem.
James

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 17, 2009 11:35AM

A heat gun can easily put out enough concentrated heat to harm a rod blank. I'd stick with the hair dryer if I used any heat at all.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:08PM

If the remaining finish is "smearing" try denatured alcohol. It may remove the epoxy and will not harm the blank finish.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.airproducts.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:45PM

Even a hair dryer will damage a blank to the point of causing a failure. Don't ask how I know.....

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:54PM

humm your denatured alcohol must be different than mine as i just spent 30 min's doing that and nothing , well the word "nothing" is wrong i left the red rag on for a few and went to get a drink and when i came out it was stuck to the rod, so maybe it softened it up some.

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:55PM

Jeff is right & I know what Jeff knows....the same way...

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.interNORTH.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 02:42PM

If you are using heat hold use your free hand to hold the rod in the area you are heating.
If it's too hot to hold it's too hot for the blank.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:06PM

I think what you folks who like heat need to look for is what is called an "embossing gun" - much less heat than a paint stripping heat gun or a hair dryer. Check you local craft store. You can also use them to gently warm epoxy on guide wraps and butt wraps to release micro bubbles from the finish. Just remember like anything there is a "too much" limit. GENTLY - 8 to 10 inches from the finish - just enough to watch those little nasties burst on the surface of the finish.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 08:29PM

Ken has it right.
Heat works just fine as long as you use it in moderation. When removing guides and finish, I will work on a small section of blank at a time. I will rotate the blank a few times, gently heating the area.
Then, I use a straight edged razor held at 90 degrees to the blank to scrape off finish and epoxy.

It works very well.

However, do NOT overheat the blank. You can easily heat the blank to such an extent that you collapse the blank and ruin it for future use. The suggestion that you heat it only enough so that you can still hold the blank in your hand is a good one.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 18, 2009 04:39AM

No heat or chemicals. Use a utility knife blade held verticly to the blank surface and start scraping from butt to tip. Dont ever hold the blade as if you were going to slice into the blank. Try a scrap piece first to get the hang of it. You have to learn how much pressure it takes to get the finish off. Sometimes all you have to do is draw the blade across the surface and it will shread or flake off. If you encounter any tuff spots where the guides were, use a plastic butter knife or a plastic ice scraper (used on your windshield) to knock off the chuncks of old finish. Its a knack you have to learn. So, before you go good ,go scrap!

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.skylan.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 08:16AM

Like Bill and Jeff, I also know. USE VERY LITTLE HEAT!!!. I was removing the tip guide and trying to get the epoxy residue off. All of a sudden the last three inches of the tip ended up on my bench.

Bill

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: William (Bill) Jones (---.c002.t7.mrt.starband.net)
Date: November 18, 2009 12:24PM

Oh, yes! And the guide foot will absorb the heat faster than the epoxy/wrap and wil transmit it to the blank, causing a weak spot. Glad I was practicing on a broken blank. Gentle scraping along with patience will eventually do the job. Of course the finish will also probably be gone, too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster