I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reversing power winder
Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 09:56PM

I have the RodSmith RW-3XL power wrapper. I was wondering is there a way to setup a reverse on the wrapping motor? I know you can flip the switch on the drying part to go backwards. Anyone ever change theirs around? I want to play with something and it requires the rod to spin towards me instead of away from me, sort of how a lathe would.

Regards,
John

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reversing power winder
Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.hsd1.nj.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 10:03PM

Date: November 16, 2009 10:03PM

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:19PM

Could you just put a figure 8 in the belt and get it to spin the opposite direction? Dont know how much adjustment you have to make the belt tighter or looser.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.gctel.stellarllc.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:33AM

Barry - does that really work on an AC motor?

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 01:34AM

Chuck beat me too that suggestion. You will have to get a different belt. Take a heavy cord make a figure 8, take that measurement to a belt shop. You can also swap ends

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 02:14AM

John,
Another thing that works very well is to replace the ac sewing machine motor that is on the wrapper with a DC motor and a dc power supply.
Then, to reverse motor direction, it is a simple matter to simply flip the polarity of the voltage feeding the motor - via a double pole double throw switch that is cross wired.

Depending on the sewing machine motor that is used on the wrapper, it may or may not be easy to get to the wires to hook them to a reversing switch.
If you can get to the brush wires, you can make the flip.

Good luck
Roger

Date: November 17, 2009 10:41AM

I asked the Same question awhile back and got a lot of input from the folks here.

Date: November 17, 2009 10:41AM

I asked the Same question awhile back and got a lot of input from the folks here.

Posted by: Ray Nicholas (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 10:47AM

I am going with Roger's suggestion, and have ordered a electric manicure machine (ok, go ahead and laugh) from that big internet @#$%& site. The main component is a 0-17v dc variable power supply. It has a speed control foot peddle, on/off switch, reversing switch and speed control knob. Plugs into wall outlet. Price: $40 including shipping. Only problem (so far): it comes from China and takes a month to get here. I will update when it gets here and I see how it works, if anyone is interested.

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 11:15AM

Chuck,

1). You can not electrically reverse the standard AC motors by the diagram shown in the link -- > [www.rodbuilding.org]

2). However, If you have a motor whose label states that it is an AC/DC motor, (like all sewing machine motors and most rod wrapping motors), then you can reverse it by the scheme shown in the foregoing link, or by putting a figure 8 in the pulley belt.

3). The typical AC drying motors are synchronous timer motors and you can not reverse them electrically, but they normally
can be manually reversed by momentarily stopping them with your hand, then letting go. CAUTION: do not stop the motor for more than a few seconds, because you could strip the gears or burn out the motor!

Rena

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 11:22AM

As Rena said,
You can reverse - series wound AC motors - or AC motors that have brushes.

Induction motors which do not have brushes, can not normally be reversed, unless there is a different winding built into the motor.
For example, there are quite a few 1/4 or 1/2 hp or larger motors which can be used on both 110v, 220v, will run either clockwise or counterclockwise, by changing the connections to the various windings that have been built into the motors. However, these motors are really not usable as a power wrapper because the nature of induction motors is that they are a single speed motor. i.e. in some cases they can be make to run at 1750 rpm, or 3600 rpm, but not variable speed.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Andrew Wright (---.wavecable.com)
Date: March 04, 2010 01:41AM

So Ray,
What have you come with now that you have the Manicure set? i am looking for a cheap way to make a power wrapper/drier and with the mancure set it looks like it might work.
is the motor strong enough to spin a 9 1/2 foot salmon rod?

Andrew
Port Orchard, WA
The Pacific Northwest

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster