I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Heart Attack
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:12AM

Although this is a bit off the topic of rod building it is germaine because all of us are aging.

In particular, when we are in our work shop, or in our home - do we have a way of contacting any one - if help is needed?

This is the true story of what happened to my son in law - ( the husband of my daughter) and his father - this weekend.

Eric (Stephenie's husband - my son in law) and his father Dan went hunting this weekend with a group of fellows.
They had just arrived at the field where they were going to set up for the hunt. As they entered the field, Dan fell. Eric ran over and asked if he was all right. He replied that he was.
He stood up, took another step and then fell flat on his face. Eric checked and could find no pulse.

Eric and another fellow in the party continued to give Dan CPR for 45 minutes until the paramedics arrived.

The paramedics worked on Dan for some time before finally being able to restore a pulse. He was taken by ambulance to Ada and from their by air to Fargo.

Over night, the medical staff dropped dans core temperature to slow down his body. Then they went through a 12 hour warm up to bring him back up to normal.

During this time, Dan was unresponsive to any stimuli.

Finally this morning after being rewarmed, Dan awoke and spoke to Eric. The first thing he said, was Thanks Son.

By all reports, it seems that Dan will likely be all right. If it hadn't been for Eric and his friend in the field, we would be planning a funeral.

Eric had completed a CPR course just a month or so ago. He never thought he would use it, and certainly not on his father.

It is remarkable how things work.

-------------------
If you haven't had CPR training, try to get some and stay current. Have a plan in place for help in your shop or home if help is needed.

Be safe and healthy

Roger

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Heart Attack
Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 01:59AM

Aging or not we all need to practice safety in the home, workplace, and elsewhere.
A rod builder's shop is full of things waiting to put a hurt on ya if you don't pay attention!

Both I and my wife were required by our jobs to be CPR and First-Aid certified and have
had need to use that training more than once. EVERYONE should have at least some
basic training.

Thanks Roger for the reminder!

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Paul Lindsey (---.dsl.okcyok.swbell.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:34AM

That might make a good class at the show, I am sure there would be some that would like to get the basics,
Just a thought
Paul

Paul@soonercustomrod.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 16, 2009 11:48AM

I appreciate the suggestion but the Expo seminars will remain focused on custom rod building methods and techniques.

Anyone that wishes to learn CPR and related life saving techniques can certainly do so right in their own hometown. The Red Cross and other medical outfits routinely offer such programs and seminars all across the U.S.

Posted by: Terry Goode (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 01:23PM

might i also chime in on needing to learn cpr.

5 years ago i and my wife were at a Renascence festival and i had a censure then a heart attack , the EMT's pronounced me "DEAD" and told my wife there was nothing they could do for me.

i awoke 3 minuets later hearing my wife crying and a crowd of people looking down at me, i reached in my pocket and pulled out my tickets and said to the amazement of all the people there "GET MY D-- MONEY BACK", yes it sounds funny but it just goes to show ya some people dont know how to read the signs.

oh and as of today i am still alive !.

Posted by: kent jones (---.stmae.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 03:10PM

been there done that massive heart they called it the widow maker only 5 % make it had a triple bypass next day a real bad way to spend christmas and new yearsbut at least i woke up on this side of the ground thanks God

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 06:01PM

A good CPR class takes 4 hours, not appropriate for ICRBE but all should take near home.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: November 17, 2009 12:41AM

It is also important to keep up on the latest guidelines for CPR. The American Red Cross website keeps that information available here:

[www.associatedcontent.com]

Currently, the experts say that you should do 30 compressions to 2 breaths, with approximately 100 compressions per minute. This is way different from what it was in the past.

Walt

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 17, 2009 04:54PM

My son in law died of a massive heart attack at the age of 38! He had no outward signs that anything was wrong and was active in work & sports. He left a loving wife and 2 young sons and did not have any life insurance. I am a firm believer that everyone should have a physical and most important some type of a stress test!!! Don't keep putting this off!! JMHO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 05:18PM

Any one takes the genes of there parents. Did his father or mother die of a hart attack. Any ills that the parents had is pasted to the off spring.

Posted by: Mark Blabaum (---.dsl.mhtc.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 06:28PM

I know that it's off the subject, but every one should sign up to be a donor and keep the card with them. I have a nephew that is 26 and having a LVAD (Left Ventricle Assisting Device?) installed tomorrow. It's a patch until they find a new heart for him. It's a gift of life and I've always thought of this gift as a little part of me living on and doing some good. I’ve been listed as a donor for the last 20 years, but I never thought that it would strike so close to home.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 17, 2009 07:16PM

All good thoughts & suggestions but I think this is going far away from
health & safety in rod building.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster