I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Old guides..help!
Posted by: Adam Stewart (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 15, 2009 11:15PM

Hello all,

I wondered if someone could advise me regarding identification of a rod guide, or point me to a source that would help identify it. The situation is as follows: an older gentleman, a family friend, has requested that I do some work on an antique spinning rod. He is 'retiring' the rod and wants to make it suitable to display. The rod itself is tubular fiberglass, of a greenish-gold color, six feet in length. The action is very moderate and power is medium light (freshwater); the original guides are double-footed with what appears to be a milky-white translucent insert ring. The rod has no markings or lettering, except that it has a black cap on the butt with a "G" embossed on it. The guides have an underwrapping of dark brown thread (it's dark brown now, anyway) and overwraps of a color similar to the blank.

The guides are the issue. The choke guide has been replaced at some point with an ugly black stainless number, with non-matching threads--a very sturdy but very makeshift repair. It also appears that the tip guide has been replaced, but with something that would almost pass for original unless one took a close look. So I'm looking for a double-foot choke guide of about 1 inch diameter. The guide frames are of a very straight V structure with no center support leg. The guide ring appears to be soldiered in place and isn't an integral part of the feet. I'm not planning any restoration work other than replacing (and possibly 'antiquing' if necessary) the choke guide so that it will better match the condition of the rod.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me identify the original guide type, or point me in the direction of a source (book, website, etc) that might be useful to my search.

Thanks for your help,

Adam Stewart

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Old guides..help!
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:46AM

Sounds like an old Garcia_conolon rod.
Those guides were rather exotic in the day... imported I believe and perhaps proprietary to the Garcia rods.There is an @#$%& site seller or two that lists them from time to time. Why not go old school and replace them with carbide guides? Just a thought...
Chuck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2009 12:50AM by Chuck McIntyre.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 01:26AM

Unless you can find these on another old rod, they aren't readily available from any of the usual suppliers on the left.

There are still some of the older double foot white ceramic insert guides available, most come with a black shock ring. I think in terms of new guides, this is about as close as you can get.

Good luck!

Terry

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 01:57AM

Adam, Unhide your e-mail and send me a picture of one of the guides. I may be able to help you.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 02:29AM

Adam,
If I were doing it, I would locate a guide set that was reasonably similar to the original guides.
Then, I would replace the entire set to insure that everything matches.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Adam Stewart (---.dhcp.kgpt.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 16, 2009 02:19PM

Garcia...I hadn't thought of it as possibly being an Abu, but that makes sense. Now I seem to recall seeing the same G on some old vintage Garcia products. But I had never seen a ceramic guide of that vintage without a shock ring. I'll try to post a photo later if I can. I'm guessing, judging by the reinforcing work done on the other guides that the entire ring and ring frame separated from the rest of the frame.

My goal with this rod isn't a complete restoration--it's beaten-up nature harkens to it's years of good use, and I don't think a full restoration was what the owner desired. In addition, I'm fearful that if I start completely stripping guides I will do some irreparable damage. So I'm a little reluctant to do a complete guide job. If it was a newer rod in better shape (and getting regular use) I would probably insist.

Thanks for all the useful information!

Adam Stewart

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster