I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Question on burl cork
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 15, 2009 11:17AM

I am confused about burl cork- I used to buy burl cork rings and always got a product that looked good, had some character from graining/the borders of the chunks of cork/some variability in color throughout the piece. I had to be careful not to mix rings from different "batches" as they might be lighter or darker, but it was pretty uniform and good looking. Treating it with cork preservative or tru oil would darken it a little and bring out the character.

Last burl I bought was so uniform it had no "character," no graining, just a very fine and uniform finish. So fine and uniform it almost looks like that old cork composition cheap rod handle we used to get on the truly bottom of the line rods (40-50 years ago-not sure if it still exists). This material structually is fine, it just doesn't look very good in my opinion. It is too uniform and fine. Cork preservative does very little to it.

Any idea what the two types I describe represent? And specifically what do I buy next that will have some "character" as I describe it?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Question on burl cork
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 15, 2009 11:43AM

Depends on the vendor and where they're getting it. The older type was made from slivers and random pieces of burl cork. The newer type, often sold under the name "burl" is a composition cork made from ground bits and pieces. It reminds me of chipboard.

About all you can do is ask your vendor what the stuff he's selling looks like and go from there. Send him a photo of what you're after and that way he/she will have a good idea of what it is that you're looking for.

Posted by: Bill Eshelman (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 15, 2009 08:45PM

I like to mix a little burnt rings in with "regular" cork rings. I think this adds a little character. It comes in 1/4 or 1/2 inch.

Ohio Rod Builders

Canton, Ohio

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 12:28AM

Michael,
Are you sure that you didn't receive "rubberized cork", as opposed to Burled cork?

Rubberized cork is made from ground up cork and has a fairly fine and uniform finish.

Burl cork on the other hand is made from chunks of cork and tends to have a much more irregular and more of a character appearance.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.chi01.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: November 16, 2009 09:17AM

No on the rubberized cork; I am familiar with it and use it on the butts of my rods. It is burl, was ordered as burl, and looks like chipboard as Tom mentioned. My older burl is the kind you mention with uneven size chunks that provide the appearance you suggest, which I like better than the very uniform appearance. The stuff I don't like has very uniform and small chunk size with absolutely no voids.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster