I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

High Speed Finishing Questions
Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range217-42.btcentralplus.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 03:15PM

Im in the process of experimenting with finishing at 200 RPM. I must say 15 test guides and I am hooked. The best result Ive ever had as its level and more importantly the edges are perfect. I think why it turned out so good is the speed at which I coated each guide. I have never had trouble getting the finish on there quick(lop it on and wipe off the sags) but my bug bear has always been the finish edges. Even with a good handrest for the life of me cannot manage a very nice edge. After the finish is on and nice and level I end up leaving it alone and the edges always seem to come out wonky. Maybe its my 40 a day habit getting in the way.!!!

Now my question --- I have no problem edging the foot end. ***What is the best way to edge the guide leg end?*** What I have done is ball up the finish against my spatula and push it over. The only problem with that is you can see some leftover finish that remains up the guideleg.

Any tips would be appreciated

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High Speed Finishing Questions
Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 04:07PM

For myself, since I have the slip chuck from Flex Coat with my 200 rpm motor, I will grab the rod and with a clean brush, clean up that end of the guide and take away as much of the epoxy as needed so there is none working up the guide. Also I look at it more as I have it in my 4-6 rpm dryers and make sure things look good.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 05:22PM

I do the same as Mike.
I use my variable speed wrapper that will turn from 0-1000 rpm.
I use high speed, at times up to 1000 rpm to get the finish on the rod. Then, I will slow or stop the rod to remove any excess finish, a final twist at high rpm and then a move over to my 6 rpm dryer.

It works very well.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: John Lubben (---.static.gci.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 05:38PM

Do you have issues with finish slinging off at 1000rpm?

Date: November 09, 2009 07:07PM

No,
Roger

Posted by: Mark Marshall (---.dhcp.jcsn.tn.charter.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 12:51AM

Men, where can you get a 200 rpm motor?

Posted by: Michael Sledden (---.176.42.254.ptr.us.xo.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 09:38AM

Flex Coat has a system for it, but it is a complete finishing setup. I was able through Custom Tackle at the time get just the motor and chuck part of the setup. I would think any of the sponsors here that deal with Flex Coat could do the same for you. The Flex Coat setup is nice because it has the slip clutch chuck on it and you can stop the rod from turning without having to turn off the motor.

Date: November 10, 2009 10:16AM

Mark,
If you have a power wrapper - use that.
Most power wrappers are very capable of getting to the required speed.
Just be sure to cover the bed of your wrapper with cardboard or other material during coating times, or the wrapper bed will potentially get a little or a lot of coating drips on it.

After coating on the wrapper or high speed dryer, then move the rod to the slow speed dryer for long term drying.

Good luck
Roger

Date: November 10, 2009 10:20AM

p.s.
In particular, virtually everyone who uses a drum style dryer - which dries multiple rods on it at the same time all use a different application to apply finish , clean up the edges, etc. before transferring to the drum dryer.
Once a rod is placed on a drum dryer, the finish is what it will be. There is virtually no easy way to touch up finish on a rod after once having it placed on a drum dryer with many other rods beside it.
So, it is important that the finish be perfect before transferring it to the drum dryer for long term drying.

Of course this is the system that most production facilities use for drying many many rods at the same time using a single motor.

Good luck
Roger

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster