I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Is .016 wall AL tubing sufficient for UL extension
Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:27PM

I'm thinking in terms of a Forecast SP720 which is rated 2-6lb. 3/8" AL tubing with .016 walls will be a good fit as long as it's strong enough. My thought is to us run the tubing the length of a TN handle then glue the blank (appropriately shimmed) into the end. It should make for a 6'9" or 6'10" UL that is lighter than my IP840.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is .016 wall AL tubing sufficient for UL extension
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:43PM

In aluminum, that would be considered a very thin walled tube. However, for such a light rod and with the use of very light line, you may get by with it. What is the diameter you'll be using?

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:54PM

3/8" OD aluminum, which makes the ID .343". I could also step up to .035" wall thickness and go with a larger OD tubing, but if unnecessary I'll save the weight and stay with the 3/8". While I'm at it - where does AL tubing tend to fail on light rods? Does it split out at the end or bend?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:59PM

It doesn't tend to split - it folds up. Very thin walled tubing could split at the junction with the blank if you put enough stress on that point. But even that can be somewhat negated by a reinforcement wrap over the junction area just like what you do on ferrules.

That's a very light blank and you may be okay. I'd opt for the 1/2 inch diameter variety over just moving to thicker walls if you feel it may be suspect.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:37PM

Marty,
Aluminum will work, but why use it.
Just pick up an old or new blank and use a section of blank on the "outside" of the blank to be extended.
Readily available with no issues on strength.

Just trim the blank that you are going to use so that it is a nice tight fit on the outside of the blank to be extended. Just insure that you have at least a 4 inch overlap and you will be good to go.

With a Tennessee handle, there is no issue with respect to reaming the cork rings or cork grip to fit both the original blank as well as the extension.

If you don't happen to have any spare blank stock around, just go over to your local good will store and pick up a dozen rods for 50 cents each. This will give you a nice variety of spare graphite material.

Most blanks need a touch of weight near the butt of the rod, so a bit more weight in the form of the graphite extension will work to your advantage.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Rena Hall (---.oc.oc.cox.net)
Date: November 12, 2009 11:05AM

Marty,

If you decide to use aluminum tubing, make sure that it is tempered aluminum, such as 6061-T6. - Do not use tubing that is not tempered, such as you typically get at the local hardware store, because it is too soft and will bend.

Been there AND DONE THAT!, and I now have an unwanted bent butt rod.

Rena

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster