I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Clockwork Orange
Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 09:50PM

Actually, a color question. I Thought I would add some Orange (Univ of TN) to a rod I was building for my son - bought CP orange. When I tested it on some scrap, it turned a light oak color after the FlexCoat - very nice color and sheen, but NOT orange. If I use NCP Orange will it retain it's UT Orange color?

Second part of the question - I really like the CP Orange (light oak) after the Flex Coat - what other colors can I get from CP thread that change colors after coating? Is there a chart somewhere?

Cheers

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Clockwork Orange
Posted by: Sam Stoner (---.dhcp.gnvl.sc.charter.com)
Date: November 08, 2009 10:34PM

The dark color of the blank is going to bleed through all light thread colors as you've found out. The effect won't be as great with NCP but you won't be able to see the sheen and character of the individual threads either like you can with the regular thread. NCP thread will give you a solid or "painted-on" look. You can try painting the blank white where you intend to wrap your orange color or do an underwrap of white thread, apply finish (allow to dry) and overwrap with orange. Try it out on your scrap blank first since you've got one.

You will also find that South Carolina Gamecock garnet and blank, Georgia Bulldog red and black, the crimson of Alabama, the blues of Florida and Auburn and most other SEC colors will not fade like that orange will.

A method I use to determine what a wrap will look like: wrap your blank with the thread you think you want to use on an area of the blank that will be covered by your grip. Apply CP over the wrap if you intend to use it and let it dry. Apply a little bit of cooking oil or olive oil on the wrap - that's exact;y what it's going to look like when the epoxy is applied. Be very careful not to contaminate your work area or tools with the oil.

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:39AM

Another way to tell what the final color of regular "CP: thread will be is to wrap a guide, and wet the thread well with alcohol.
It will work quickly, and dry without leaving a noticable residue.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: John-Michael Dunaway (---.dnb.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 01:47PM

Being in Austin I get quite a few request for UT(Texas) rods. What I have been doing is using Gudebrod NCP white and nylon Sunburst. I have come to the conclusion taht Color Prot. is pretty important. Of course painting the blank is also and option but never really likes messing with. I use a white underwrap for the butt wraps and just make sure my guide wrap are packed as tight as possible. You are correct int hat the shine and luster fo the sunburst is compromised but it definately stands out to match the burnt orange colors. Good luck.

Posted by: mike harris (---.borgwarner.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 01:59PM

The brightest orange that I have ever used is Madeira #1947. It must be used with color preserver and very well packed, but it looks great when you are finished.

Posted by: Walt Stock (---.dtccom.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 06:11PM

Thanks for all the info, Gents. Very appreciated. I tried the white underwrap and it worked much better. I'm waiting for some white paint to cure then I'll try that as well. Looks like I have to do some thread buying for the rest of my testing.

Cheers, God Bless and keep it wet!

Walt

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.safepages.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 10:18PM

Once you have determined your guide placement it is really quite simple and quick to mask your blank and spray paint it with Krylon or the equivalent. A couple of light coats can be applied in a few hours' time, and this white base coat will make light colors, even yellow, seem to jump out. If you try this white undercoat on a piece of scrap and wrap it with your orange thread I'll bet you are pleased with the result.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster