I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

travel rod
Posted by: charles fasano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:40PM

I asked for advice a few weeks ago regarding a friend interested in occasional trips to bonefish. He has injuries that prevent fly fishing, but still wants to use light lures. I built an 8 wt. fly blank set up as a spinning rod. It will cast 1/8th ounce 80ft. Is this all I can expect? Was this the wrong approach? If you guys can get me squared away I would really appreciate the help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: travel rod
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 08, 2009 08:51PM

IMO, using a 8wt to cast 1/8 ounce is about right. Two reasons, that is a pretty heavy blank for 1/8 ounce AND it is difficult to get too much more distance with a lure that light.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 07:45AM

I wouldn't have used a fly rod blank for that application. A very light popping rod or the lightest hot shot rod might have been better, although as Jim said, with just 1/8th ounce, you're only going so far.

Posted by: charles fasano (---.hsd1.va.comcast.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:34AM

The problem I had is keeping the sections under 30 inches. Tom, if you can point me towards a multipiece light popping or hot shot blank, I would love to try that.
thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 09, 2009 09:39AM

I understand. In that case you may have done all you can do. I think a lighter fly blank might do better with such a small amount of weight. I'm guessing that your 8-weight is going to do better with about 3/8th to 1/2 ounce.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 12:40PM

There are several sponsors that offer three piece travel rods that are rated for that weight. Most will be 7' or less. Forecast SB series as an example. Line weight from 6# -12#

Date: November 09, 2009 01:30PM

Charles -

IF I remember correctly, you needed REALLY short sections ... less than 24". My favorite bonefish travel rod only breaks down to 29" and with the case 32".

I agree with Tom, you have most likely done all that can be done. IF you dropped to a 6wt, for example, you most likely wouldn't have enough strength to handle the bigger bones of the Keys - not to mention other possible catches.

Jim -

Posted by: charles fasano (---.rcmdva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 01:36PM

Jim,
I mught be able to work with sections of that length. Would you mind sharing your blank selection?
thanks
charlie

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:00PM

Ditto on that too Jim. I need a new UL rod. That is if I can find a true UL spinning reel (150 yards of 4# mono) that will last in the salt.

Date: November 09, 2009 04:58PM

My favorite light inshore travel blank is the St Croix SC2 Inshore 2SW70MLF3, the matching case is RC32.

As far as a UL travel blank ... what length, there are plenty out there.

With respect to a "saltwater" tolerant UL spinning reel, the new Shimano Stradic CI4 1000 at 6.2 ounces is tough to beat at the price. Another option without totally smashing the piggybank, the Team Daiwa Fuego 1000.

Posted by: Gary Henderson (---.mco.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 12:07AM

As stated above, 1/8 oz is a pretty light lure weight to cast long distances, and the further from the rod tip the lure travels, the more line it is dragging behind it. This will, of course, limit the casting distance because the light lure does not have enough mass to sustain its forward momentum.

The larger the line diameter, the more drag, and the shorter the casting distance.

Personally, I think 80' is a pretty decent cast with a 1/8 oz lure. You can get a longer cast by going to a lighter blank and smaller line, but you are going to sacrifice the ability to turn a large fish.

One possibility would be to look at a rod's action. Some members of this board (far more intelligent than I) could probably tell you the optimum action (fast, ex. fast, med. fast, med., slow) to deliver the most casting distance with the same lure weight and line diameter. That might also be something to think about.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 12:26AM

Russell, what is your definition of a true UL reel? I think there a number of reels that will fit your requirements. Daiwa Fuego 1500. Or is that too heavy at 6.5 ounces or so? Many similar sized reels, or even smaller.

Charles, depends on what type of 1/8 oz lure you are using, and line type/test. You may want to try Fireline 4 lbs with a thicker leader if you need it? 8wt seems a bit heavy but then, he may be really whipping that rod hard so that it loads on itself....

Mo

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: November 10, 2009 10:43AM

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to thread steal. More of a comment on how digusted I was after taking apart a reel (Abu) I recently purchased.

I guess I'm too cheap for my own good. I gets my goat to have to pay more for a decent little spinning reel than for a serious deep sea convential reel.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 01:48PM

Take a look at Shimano. I got a little 500 I use for UL fishing. Loaded with 4 LB braid Love it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.215.118.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 10, 2009 05:41PM

IMO your blank selection was correct for the weight.
Multiple piece blanks can't be expected to be as efficient as a single piece but if the requirement is a short length you're forced to use them.
An 80 foot cast is respectable with an 1/8 ounce weight but if it falls short you could reduce the weight and number of guides and use the lightest tip top available. This may shorten guide and line life but nothing come's for free.
The goal woul be to increase tip velocity at release to achieve the most kinetic energy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2009 08:03PM by Eugene Moore.

Posted by: Grant Darby (---.wavecable.com)
Date: November 10, 2009 10:10PM

Well...that got me going. Could you explain the part about multi piece blanks not being as "efficient" as a one piece? My 3 piece travel rods catch just as many fish just as "efficiently" as the one piece. Maybe it's just a choice of wording, but what do you mean? Not a hijack, just curious.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 10:00AM

Also why are builders asking for mulity piece rods ?? [rodbuilding.org]

Another good read: [rodbuilding.org]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2009 10:12AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.213.142.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: November 11, 2009 05:52PM

Grant,
The 1-piece rod is the most efficient because there are no couplings between pieces.
This creates a rod that's lighter and more efficient at transmitting torque from the butt to the tip in the straightest possible path.
Couplings add weight at fixed points in the blank that add to the total energy lost from the cast.
Connections aren't 100% efficient. Nothing made by man exists at that level of accuracy. Even a rigid connection has energy losses.
Ever had a rod seperate at the connection ? This is the result of energy being transmitted from one section to the other and some being lost in the process. Inefficient.
I understand the need for convience but opt for the minimum number of pieces my customer will allow.

If you wish to pursue this further, Please open another thread

Eugene Moore

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 12, 2009 02:37PM

I find myself prefering multi pc, myself. I have found no "detectable" difference and neither has anyone that has fished with mine. I'm beginnging to classify that as a Mmyth" I'm sure there is a minute difference but, IMO, it's imperceptable in todays blanks

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: November 12, 2009 07:45PM

My preference for sales and personal use ... ABB rods (Already Been Broken) or Multi-Piece rods. This seems to keep the clients, and myself, from feeling the need to reduce the overall length for transportation and storage.

IF the rods/blanks were connected to the right testing equipment, I am sure that measurable differences exist. However, in the bare hand ... nothing is detectable in my experience. To date, no client has returned a multi-piece build OR labeled it as inferior.

Jim -

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster