I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How Straight are Blanks?
Posted by: Tom Locke (---.c3-0.wob-ubr2.sbo-wob.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 01:31PM

I know a blank is never going to be perfectly straight, but how much is too much? I had a blank replaced under warranty and when I was puting a bend in it I noticed it was really bent. The bend is not a slight wiggle. It is about 2/3rds of the way up from the butt. It is more of a turn in the blank so the tip ends up being around an inch off of the center line. I contacted the manufacturer and they sent me a replacement. Same exact situation. Now I have the third replacement blank and it too has a bend, but not nearly as significant. It is probably only half an inch off. Is this typical of rod blanks and I have just been fortunate to not notice it in my previous rods or should they be a lot straighter than this with just a small wiggle or two of maybe a millimeter or two, but the tip is still in line with the butt overall?

Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Straight are Blanks?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2009 01:51PM

An overall curve or warp between butt and tip, even a pretty good one, isn't a problem and is quite common. But a sudden crook is a different matter.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 03:59PM

Where are you getting your blanks ??? I have gotten many from sponsors on the left and even the worst have only had a slight bend in the tip. If you are getting your's from that action site, watch out.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: November 07, 2009 04:16PM

The blanks are coming directly from the manufacturer. They are straight for 2/3rds of the blank and then make a few degrees turn and then are straight again to the tip. I should also add I can bend the blank opposite the turn so it stays straight. It is just when I put a bend on the blank when testing the backbone or looking for the spine the bend in the blank stays and keeps the top portion offline from the bottom.
The manufacturer asked for the first two replacements back. I think I will send them back and just forget about this rod. I don't have any confidence in the blank since one snapped and three others seem defective so I am not going to put my time and effort into building it. Anybody want to buy a 7' 15-30# blank that is slightly bent? hahaha

Date: November 07, 2009 04:26PM

Does not sound like any suppliers here ??? These guys only sell quality stuff !!!!

Where did you get them ??? Don't be afraid to say.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Spencer (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 05:20PM

Tom Locke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I should also add I
> can bend the blank opposite the turn so it stays
> straight. It is just when I put a bend on the
> blank when testing the backbone or looking for the
> spine the bend in the blank stays and keeps the
> top portion offline from the bottom.

Are you saying the blank does not return to the exact same shape after you manually bend it??

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 07, 2009 05:37PM

I'll tell you, that just doesn't sound right. I'd return it.

Date: November 07, 2009 06:37PM

Joe Spencer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Are you saying the blank does not return to the
> exact same shape after you manually bend it??

That is exactly what I am saying. It looks straight. I bend it. 2/3rds of the way up from the butt there is a bend of a few degrees. The blank before and after the bend is straight so the tip ends up being off center from the bottom. If the blank is the hands of a clock it is 12:30 rather than 12 on the dot.

I agree it does not sound right and since it is the third blank I expect them to be able to diagnose the problem and fix it. It is a major manufacturer so I doubt there are many of these rods out there. I don't want to name the company as they may have a mistake, but the customer service has been top notch and I figure they will fix it. I just want a rod so I will use a different blank.

Date: November 08, 2009 02:21AM

I thought that was what this board was for ? It would be nice to know so other builders do not go though the same thing

Sounds like they were not cooked enough.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/08/2009 03:13AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: November 09, 2009 02:00AM

About 5 years ago I had 2 Loomis blanks that could have passed for boomerangs....

Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 09, 2009 11:15AM

I have received several Loomis blanks from Mudhole and all of them were straight where you could not see any appreciable curve or any other type of deformity. I believe that Mudhole checks their blanks when they receive them from the manufacture & return any that do not meet their requirements. JMHO

Date: November 09, 2009 06:45PM

The first, straight one came from Mudhole. The other three came direct from the manufacturer. They all look straight until you put a bend in them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster