I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New member checking in w/ question
Posted by: Robert Elam (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:37PM

Hi All,
I'm from Mtn Home, Arkansas and new to rod building. I'm lucky in three ways... (1) my locale offers TOO many fishing opportunities, (2) I have an elderly neighbor that is really enjoying teaching me what he can no longer do and (3) to have an awesome shop in my area called Schneiders Rod Shop. I see Ron listed over there on the left and also see that he posts here on occasion! Very cool!
Fred (my neighbor) initiated me with kite string (so he could see, I guess..LOL) back in July and worked me down to 'A' thread on some old broken pieces.
This weekend, I'll be putting finish over the wrapping on my first rod - a frankenstien 6'6" 2 pc f-glass spinning rod that we made a 1 pc via internal reinforcement where the ferrule used to be. It's ugly as sin with old guides and a maroon paint job and Red NCP with Silver trim. I know I wrapped a few too tight. I expect it will break but what the heck. I have learned much from lurking here and look forward to learning more and sharing what I learn in this new hobby of mine.
Fred is very old and stuck in his ways... hates Spiral wraps, hates tinted graphite, hates Mitchell reels, hates Opera and Oprah - you get the picture. I'll be turning to you folks for a shoulder to cry on, I'm sure.
I'm ready to get down to business on my first "for use" rod that I want to build for my wife as a Christmas gift. It'll be a 6' MH baitcaster on a graphite blank with pistol grip that I bought from Mr Schneiders shop. It's gloss graphite (grey) and I'll wrap it in green with purple trim (her fave colors). She won't use it often but, it's a Labor of Love, ya know. Now to my question...
In the Batson catalog, I see some guides in TiCh with Chameleon rings that I think would look great. Do the Cham rings really have the characteristic of changing color depending on the angle that light hits them from? The pics look like they might. She would think that was real pretty! Feedback needed soon!

Thanks, Rob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New member checking in w/ question
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:42PM

Yes, they're very attractive and are indeed chameleon in their color changing appearance.

Ron will be a good person to turn to. He and his wife have been doing this a long time and they know the business and the craft very well.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 10:24PM

Welcome aboard!!! You found the right place! Be sure to check out the Library, Glossary and FAQ pages. Dig into the Photo Page (requires separate registration but you can register with the same name password as the forum)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Ron Schneider (---.mthmcmta01.mthoar.lr.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 08:37AM

Thanks for the kind words.
Robert, like most of the Batson products, we have those guides in stock.
And to any who might want to try some of the great fishing in our area, we have a display showroom where you can come and "wiggle" all the blanks and see product in person.
If you are coming a distance, give us a call.
Sometimes folks cannot get here during normal shop hours, I'll try to accommadate.

Best wishes,
Ron Schneider
Schneider's Rod Shop
Mountain Home, Arkansas
[www.schneidersrods.com]
mtnron40@yahoo.com
870-424-3381

Posted by: Robert Elam (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 12:02PM

Thanks for the welcome, guys!
I think I will be using the Chameleon rings on my next build. They look schweet! Thanks for the info.
Mike - I know what you're hinting at. Don't expect pics anytime soon. ;-)
Ron - We didn't get to meet when I was in on Monday but you looked very familiar when I saw you sweeping leafs off the walk. I think we may have met long ago? Bill Fletcher was my uncle. Could that be the connection? Anyway, you can expect to see me around the shop as my wifes money allows. :-(
Tom - very nice forum that you have here. Thanks for the Mod effort. I know from experience how frustrating it can be at times!

Rob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster