I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Unibutt reel seat and ferule help
Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:00AM

I am building a saltwater trolling rod, I would like to build my own custom unibutt as i do not like the gimbles used on standard unibutts I was thinking of a strong hardwood for the handle/rear grip anyone see a problem with this? I will probably use a removable sleeve on the butt as to not scratch up the wood when taking it in and out of the rod holder.. what I need to know is what ferrules are compatiable with which reelseats. The blank will be a Seeker IGFA 80# blank. Anyone know where I can find this info?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 08:41PM by David Teague.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Unibutt reel seat and ferule help
Posted by: Tom Locke (---.c3-0.wob-ubr2.sbo-wob.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 08:17PM

I don't have an answer to your question. What I am curious about is what don't you like about the unibutt gimbles? Do you not want a gimble at all? Do you want a wood gimble? I don't understand.
What I do understand is a heavy (i.e. 80#) trolling rod is going to need a gimble. 80# setups make me think atleast 25 pounds of drag and 130# line. You could have a standard, non-gimbled butt in the fighting belt plate, but why wouldn't you want the gimble to help prevent the butt from moving around or the rod twisting. And with that sort of pressure wood is not going to last more than a few seconds. Graphite can explode too and aluminum can even bend after a while.
My 50 size trolling setup bent the solid stainless steel pin slightly in my fighting plate when I was testing the rod and reel at max drag, 60#. Not that you would ever fish at that setting but to give an idea of the stresses involved.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:12PM

I think you're going to have to visit the various manufacturer websites and compare the uni-butt ferrules to their mating uni-butts and then compare to the stand alone seats. It shouldn't be hard to do.

Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:19PM

Tom,
Sorry to confuse you...of course I will be using a gimble...I prefer ball type gimbles as they are much easier on the belly when not using a belt which I often do...and so far I've never seen a standard unibutt with one i.e....aftco...stuart...as far as a wood butt goes...cocobolo would have been my choice as it is the 2nd most dense wood on the planet...if those are your thoughts on this...maybe I need to re think my build...Ive never built a trolling rod before, atleast not with rollers and such, so I'm not sure as the pound rating..I assumed that a 80# rod was for the top end line rating so if I was using 40-60# mono I'd be in the middle like all of the other rods I've built..am I wrong in this??? mainly the rods I build are spiral wrapped live bait/jig sticks for grouper and other bottom species such as big jacks...and the occasional offshore spinning setup for flylining kings...so this build is quite different...so i'm trying to get all the info I can before I start ordering parts and a blank....this trolling rod will be for blankfin tuna and the occassional wahoo...If that helps

Dave

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:45PM

There is another way to do this - build the rod in a straight-thru design so the blank provides most of the strength there on the butt. You can make your own gimball, buy one or whatever. Then make your own butt from wood or whatever and install the same seat that normally is part of the uni-butt.

Posted by: Tom Locke (---.c3-0.wob-ubr2.sbo-wob.ma.cable.rcn.com)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:48AM

Gotcha Dave.
Purchase an aluminum ball style gimbal.
Make a nice pretty wood butt handle or grip.
Purchase a heavy duty saltwater reel seat and ferrule. (I like Aftco products)
You could use the "other" Tom's idea and make it a blank through rod. It would be plenty strong enough, but you will not be able to detach the butt/reel seat from the rest of the rod. If you don't think the wood butt would be strong enough on its own you could get the full length blank, cut the butt section and use it to reinforce the wood butt. Then the top section could still be ferruled and you would be able to have the rod in two pieces.
I don't have extensive experience with IGFA rated rods so others would be better to give advice. I think the ratings are based on the rules so an 80# blank is designed for max 80# IGFA line. Using the 25-33% drag rule that means 20-27 pounds of drag. That seems like just the right amount for a plate stand up. I am sure you could get away with the 40-60# line as well just with lesser drag on that rod.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 07, 2009 12:58PM

David, will this rod be for you or a customer? I ask because neither blackfin or wahoo require an 80# IFGA rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 05:08PM by Russell Brunt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster