I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: IT"S UP!!!
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 12:10PM

I added a few questions :

"A guarantee of the best wholesale price on NFC blanks from our distributors."

Does this mean there are different tiers? Does this mean you can get a "better" wholesale price than what is available now, or just the hobby builder will be able to buy at wholesale if registered? (I know there is typically a retail price, wholesale price, distributor price and OEM price with many manfacturers) If the hobby guy registered can now have wholesale pricing, that puts me at a disadvantage as a business unless I am qualified for an even lower tier after "qualifying".

Logo

Does the finished rod have to have the NFC Approved logo? Cost for decals if so or will they provided?

-----------------
AD

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Jon Bial (209.34.156.---)
Date: November 06, 2009 12:14PM

Morning everyone,

Gary and I have to be on the plant floor most of today flexing, testing and breaking new models, so our time on the board will be limited. We do appreciate the recognition and enthusiasm we have received from a number of builders. My email was pretty full this morning, mostly with pros that want to know when the application will be ready. Hopefully today!

We are very excited to be a part of this group. We hope to contribute and help grow the custom rod market. Some questions I have been asked were addressed in the program, but I do want to highlight a couple of things.

1. There are no geographical limitations. All Gary is doing is setting a baseline competence of pros who he will recommend to folks that ask us to get into rods.

2. This program is designed to help our distributors, too. For us, this program is a loss leader. Of course, there is the second blank that gets purchased, and hopefully the third, fourth, fifth, sixth... Also, we get a rod to display at the trade shows and the builder gets some recognition for that rod at the show (free advertising).

3. The criteria for approval will be based on build quality. If you want to show off advanced artistic touches, we're happy to see that, but that is the gravy. As these rods will become showcase rods, I suspect most of the submissions will really shine.

4. We will have a Canadian distributor. I have had inquiries from two (scratch that, now three) Canadian distributors.

5. Gary is no longer affiliated with G.Loomis in any way.

6. Alex, I'll let Karen, Jon or Scott answer your question about wholesale pricing, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. This program is for pro builders. The application will require appropriate information to confirm.

7. We're not brilliant (well Gary is) and we don't have all the answers. If you think our program needs tweaking, send me a note: info@northforkcomposites.com

Peter, if you are correct, those guys will have a leg up, did i mention that the certificates will be numbered and that number one is still available? Ready. Set. GO!

Jon

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 06:21PM by Jon Bial.

Posted by: Chuck Mills (---.grenergy.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 12:15PM

Yup! Dumb idea. Waste of $50 and a little labor. ;)

Time for a little reality check. Take a look at the private party classified ad rates for our home town newspaper in the midwest.

20 words or less $9.00
Each additional word add $0.45
Additional run, 20 words or less $4.60
Each additional word add $0.23

If you want to dance. You have to pay the fiddler.

$50 = about 36 bottles of soda pop
$50 = about 12 lattes at the coffee shop
$50 = parking and dinner for two
$50 = Your name on North Fork's website! Seriously!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 12:22PM by Chuck Mills.

Posted by: BINGHAM ENTERPRISES (---.kc.res.rr.com)
Date: November 06, 2009 12:44PM

Goodmorning all!
This program is something that is really unprecedented by a manufacturer. Wholesale pricing will be the same for all builders that qualify for wholesale pricing whether they purchase from me (Bingham) Anglers Workshop or Mud Hole,
If this program interests you give it a try- you do not have to purchase the most expensive blank that is available to participate- purchase within your means and get building. Like everything in life this program may not be for everybody- so if you are interested take part .
Any questions please feel free to ask me. Since this program broke last night /this morning I have had 2 builders purchase as they both want to be # 1 in certification. .

Good Luck to all!
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com
Also forgot to mention, anyone who purchases their rod blank from Bingham Enterprises will receive a NFC Gary Loomis "The Man" personally signed business card.

For now you can find the listing of blanks that I have in stock on my website under the heading of new products on the front page.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 02:36PM by BINGHAM ENTERPRISES.

Posted by: Vella (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 01:47PM

Just ordered my blank from Mudhole. Still waiting for the application to be available

Posted by: Walt Natzke (170.146.227.---)
Date: November 06, 2009 04:42PM

Can't wait for the fly blanks to come out so I can get busy!

Walt

Posted by: Chris Garrity (---.phlapa.east.verizon.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 05:16PM

I am not a pro builder, so this program is not designed for me. But as an impartial outsider, I can offer a couple of comments (unsolicited, of course):

- this program is a great idea on NFC's part. One of the problems with this racket is that anyone can call himself a custom builder. I see it as a good way to ensure that people who are interested in NFC get a good product, and to prevent the terrible consequences when someone gets turned off custom rods forever because they got a terrible product from an incompetent amateur.

- If I were a custom builder, I'd be all over this. If you sell rods, you must be crazy not to want to get involved, even if you have no plans ever to sell a single NFC blank. Being approved by Gary Loomis (and his associates) is, to a custom builder, like getting approved by Jack Nicklaus to sell golf clubs.

- I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the judging process, and during the process of determining what the judging standards will be. Does your work need to be worthy of the cover of Rodmaker to qualify? Or do you just need to prove that you're reasonably skilled, and are not an incompetent butcher? I know that we'll never see the rods that don't make the cut, but it would be interesting to see what comes through the door...

Date: November 06, 2009 06:27PM

OK, Got the application and have ordered a blank from Mudhole, Now, I think we build the rod and then send the app in with the rod, Correct? Or do we send the app in and ship the rod later?
Where do the rods get shipped to? The only address I saw on the website is a post office box, It would have to be one deeeep PO box LOL

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2009 06:30PM by Bill Havens.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.fll.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:01PM

I'm curious to see the application and what information is required to qualify. I'm just starting so I haven't sold any rods yet. I do have a business name, as a sole propreitor, but no tax # as my CPA saw no reason at this time. The business name isn't something most would associate with rods though.

Then one has to wonder what "build quality" means. It isn't hard to wrap a single foot guide with black thread and put a perfect finish on it. Ditto on EVA grips and graphite reel seat. It might be as "plain jane" as you can get but it will perform as well as anything else. Could such a rod qualify?

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 07:36PM

Bill,
As per instruction on the app. complete the app & send it in along with the rod.

Russell,
The application is now up on their website. Use the link posted by Gary at the beginning
of this thread

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 06, 2009 08:29PM

Russell Brunt Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I do have a business name, as a sole propreitor, but no
> tax # as my CPA saw no reason at this time.

As stated previously, the application is up and available. One thing missing from it for US builders, the FEIN. IMO, it should be key to allowing US builders to be on the referral list. After all, no one in the US can legally sell a rod without remitting the FET due.

Jim -

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: November 06, 2009 09:16PM

Russell,

If you check Jon's earlier post I think you'll see that they consider any additional cosmetic touches to be "gravy" and while appreciated, are not required. What they're looking for is competency. A perfect finish on a guide wrap is likely to be less important than being able to build something that functions very well. In other words, a 7 foot rod with just 3 guides albeit perfect finish, probably won't cut the mustard.

The key, I would assume, is to be able to build a rod where things line up, the fit and finish is precise, the guide set up allows for good casting characteristics, etc. etc. No matter how attractive a rod might be, it has to function well or you really don't have a good fishing tool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/07/2009 09:31AM by Tom Kirkman.

Date: November 06, 2009 09:23PM

Raymond Adams Wrote:
> Bill,
> As per instruction on the app. complete the app &
> send it in along with the rod.
>
> Russell,
> The application is now up on their website. Use
> the link posted by Gary at the beginning
> of this thread
But what is the address to send them to??

Date: November 06, 2009 09:47PM

Here it is. The first line shows a P.O. Box but If a piece of mail to big for the box comes to that address
a card is placed in the box directing the box owner to the counter or other location where the parcel
is located. Kind of depends on if the box is at a USPS location or another private Co. like "Mail Boxes Etc"

The second line is obviously the actual business office/factory location.

North Fork Composites
P.O. Box 2223
2617 NE 434th Street
Woodland, WA 98674 U.S.A.
P: 360.225.2211 F:360.225.2215
info@northforkcomposites.com

Raymond Adams

Date: November 06, 2009 10:37PM

Raymond Adams Wrote:
> Here it is. The first line shows a P.O. Box but
> If a piece of mail to big for the box comes to
> that address
> a card is placed in the box directing the box
> owner to the counter or other location where the
> parcel
> is located. Kind of depends on if the box is at a
> USPS location or another private Co. like "Mail
> Boxes Etc"
>
> The second line is obviously the actual business
> office/factory location.
>
> North Fork Composites
> P.O. Box 2223
> 2617 NE 434th Street
> Woodland, WA 98674 U.S.A.
> P: 360.225.2211 F:360.225.2215
> info@northforkcomposites.com
Thanks Ray, I'm going to write you down as a "Proffesional Reference" LOL

Date: November 06, 2009 11:04PM

That brings up a pretty good point Bill! "Professional References" exactly what does that mean?
I would assume it means from another legitimate business rod builder but...?

That is one area I know I would have a problem with because I don't think but one or two have
actually seen my work in person. Sure, many have seen my posted photos but most who have
seen my work in person have been hobby builders, just other fishermen, and recipients.

Raymond Adams

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 06, 2009 11:20PM

Raymond Adams Wrote:
> "Professional References" exactly what does that
> mean?
> I would assume it means from another legitimate
> business rod builder but...?

I was thinking that it was intended for client information ... so that they could confirm their satisfaction with your business. A measure of external professionalism. For example, the interviewer might inquire about the acquistion process, any questions asked, whether the production process was explained, if expectations were met, was a proper invoice proferred, were taxes collected, was warranty given and explained, was proper use and care discussed and so forth.

If the design intent of the program is to separate the wheat from the chaff, this type of referral is key.

IMO, there is a huge difference between someone just getting into the craft and someone that can produce dedicated clients with multiple builds.

Jim -

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 06, 2009 11:46PM

I agree with Tom, some of the questions are getting a little silly. Asking NFC about costs of "guides, etc." As a rod builder and a Gary Loomis fan, I will be applying ASAP for certification regardless of whether anyone else nearby or in my state does the same. I do not want to be the one who is NOT recommended!

As other posts above have stated, it appears to me to be a positive straight forward program in it's early stage of development.

Date: November 07, 2009 09:09AM

Jim Gamble Wrote:
> Raymond Adams Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Professional References" exactly what does
> that
> > mean?
> > I would assume it means from another legitimate
> > business rod builder but...?
>
>
> I was thinking that it was intended for client
> information ... so that they could confirm their
> satisfaction with your business. A measure of
> external professionalism. For example, the
> interviewer might inquire about the acquistion
> process, any questions asked, whether the
> production process was explained, if expectations
> were met, was a proper invoice proferred, were
> taxes collected, was warranty given and explained,
> was proper use and care discussed and so forth.
>
> If the design intent of the program is to separate
> the wheat from the chaff, this type of referral is
> key.
>
> IMO, there is a huge difference between someone
> just getting into the craft and someone that can
> produce dedicated clients with multiple builds.
>
> Jim - Thats kinda what I assumed as well

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (24.145.81.---)
Date: November 07, 2009 10:47AM

Why wouldn't professional references be vendors you do business with? Why would customers matter? You think I'm going to supply the name of a customer who thinks I stink? Come on... y'all are smarter than that.

Vendors are the ones who can really vouch for your legitimacy as a business. Pretty common that this information is supplied when setting up business accounts. While this isn't an account, it appears to be a stab at making sure you are some type of legit business.

-----------------
AD

Pages: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster