I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Slip Rings for Tennessee Cork Grips - Size & Type
Posted by: Mo Yang (---.static.rvsd.ca.charter.com)
Date: November 02, 2009 10:58PM

I normally suggest using tape to secure reels to tennessee cork grips. However, some of my friends prefer slip rings. A couple of questions:

1. Normally do you prefer any gaps between the slip rings and the cork grip? i.e. With a slip ring of 1.00" diameter, how large do you make your cork grip? I'd think .99" to make the gap as small as possible.

2. If that's not possible, how LARGE can the differential between grip OD and ring ID?

3. Finally, I prefer the 'graphite' type slip rings. How many types are there - and what do you prefer?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Mo

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Slip Rings for Tennessee Cork Grips - Size & Type
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 06:32AM

Most handles already fit the rings. I prefer the graphite also because they do not get as cold as the metal ones and I figure there is a little more flex in them to hold a reel. I also put at least one thin coat of finish on my cork just to stiffen it up. There are graphite handles also. Try them.

Most suppliers give the ID for the rings and OD of the handle.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2009 07:05AM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Marty Martin (---.gsp.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 08:32AM

I prefer graphite rings that fit as snugly as possible while still being able to slide them on the grip as necessary. Any looser and they seem to move on me. One trick that has really worked well for me if the ring is too loose - wrap electrical tape on the cork underneath where the ring will sit (I even split my tape into half-width so there won't be any showing), then put the reel in place and slide the rings over the foot of the reel. The tape not only takes up space, but provides a bit more friction than the cork so it holds the slip ring in place. I love TN on UL up to ML power rods.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 09:29AM

Also scoffing the inside of the graphite rings helps to give them a little more bite.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Bill Moschler (---.chs.bellsouth.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 02:51PM

I have had terrible results with the graphite slip rings in terms of holding the reel. Each time I have tried them I have ended up cutting the handle apart and using something else. I have had better luck with the Al rings for light rods. for rods that get some heavy use I will not do the slip ring thing again. I love the idea of slip rings and putting the reel where you want it, but hate it when the reel falls off in in the middle of playing a large fish because of the flexing of theblank under the reel seat loosening the rings.

Posted by: Ray Hartley (---.65.65.164.static-ip.telepacific.net)
Date: November 03, 2009 10:19PM

I too have had my fair share of reels becoming dislodged from those slip rings. I tried electrical tape, but it just left a sticky mess, especially during the summer heat, not to mention that it takes the filler out of your cork if you ever try to remove it. Instead, I use a short 1/2"-3/4" section of bicycle tubing with an I.D. just smaller than the cork. Just stretch it over the butt of the handle and wedge it just over or up against the ring or rings ...works great.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster