I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Which Epoxy
Posted by: keith osborn (122.128.88.---)
Date: November 01, 2009 09:21PM

Hi Guys
i am new to rodbuilding and am just about to start my first build, i have a question about epoxy for Grips and Reel Seat. i have been watching the Steve Petri dvd and noticed that he uses two different typs of Epoxy for mounting the Grip and the Reel Seat, what is the general thinking on this, Steve says that he uses the thinner Epoxy for the grip as it lubricates the inside of the grip when fitting and the thicker type for the reel seat be cause it will not run as much. My question is can you use either for both operations or is using different types the way to go.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Which Epoxy
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: November 01, 2009 09:26PM

I use U40 Rod Bond for both ... great stuff.

Posted by: Brian Morrow (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2009 10:03PM

I prefer Lamar's Ultimate gel Epoxy for all my rod building needs, and I have yet to experience any problems or failures.
It is available in 5 min, 15 min, and 24 hour cure times to meet your personal needs.

Posted by: Kerry Hansen (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 01, 2009 10:09PM

U40

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: November 01, 2009 10:22PM

U40 Rod Bond will do it all. Stays where you put it and lubes the grips on the way down too.

Posted by: Chuck Payne (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: November 01, 2009 11:45PM

Just so you know the U40 rod bond and the Ultimate gel are both along the same lines. Yes you could use either for both applications. I have both and use both, I do tend to use the ultimate gel when I am putting EVA grips on because it is thinner and does seem to help a little when putting the eva on. Otherwise I cant say a bad thing about either one.

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.ppoe.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: November 01, 2009 11:45PM

I vote for U40 Rod Bond.

J.B.Hunt
Bowling Green, KY

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: November 02, 2009 07:09AM

Rod Bond / U40 should be all you will need. I keep Rod Bond (fast and slow cure) as well as Kardol on hand. Kardol is a little more "runny" than Rod Bond - both are thixotropic (paste)

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: November 02, 2009 10:33AM

As others have said - U40 RodBond for all.

Posted by: Scott Parsons (205.244.119.---)
Date: November 02, 2009 11:15AM

Keith please unhide you email address and I will send you an email. Thanks Scott Parsons

Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: November 02, 2009 02:26PM

I prefer the Threadmaster 15 min Epoxy over the 10 min Rod Bond.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: Mike Bradford (---.propel.com)
Date: November 02, 2009 03:31PM

Keith:

Send me an email, or unhide your email address.

Posted by: keith osborn (122.128.88.---)
Date: November 02, 2009 06:28PM

email address is now visible

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: November 05, 2009 10:39AM

Ultimate Gel or Rod Bond for both

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster