I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Casting and Reel Spool Size
Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-03rh16rt-04rh15rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 11:14AM

I have been working on a rod for maybe entering into the casting contest at the ICRBE. Observed something strange yesterday while setting up the guides. Working with a Quantum Catalyst reel in size 10 and spooled with 6 pound test, I worked until I thought I was getting my best distance. Then I got the idea that since a larger reel spool is supposed to afford longer casts, I spooled a Quantum size 20 with 6 pound test and worked with the guides until I got my best distance with that set up. But............ it was LESS than what I got with the smaller size 10 reel! Because I had a Quantum 30 I went ahead and spooled it with 6 pound test and tried getting my best set up on that one. It was even LESS than I got with the size 20 reel.

I know that some companies many years ago went to smaller and longer spools saying it would increase your distance. Now there are companies moving back to larger and shorter spools saying that THOSE increase your distance. My experience so far is that the smaller and longer spools give more distance. Has anyone else made any observations along these lines regarding spool size and casting distance?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Casting and Reel Spool Size
Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2009 11:38AM

Ken,

Inertia is a BAD thing for casting reels. That would be the problem you are running into. With the extra line capacity comes extra mass that needs to be started, and that robs energy from your cast.

For a cylindrical distribution of mass, the moment of inertia varies directly with the mass, and an depends on the square of the radius to the mass. It is for this reason that I contend that wide arbor spools are a poor design, UNLESS they are made from magnesium, as you can save enough mass to have the same moment of inertia with a wide diameter spool.

My best casting reels are the Citica 100dsv and 100b, both low line capacity deeps spool reels with an aluminum spool. Comparing the casting performance of these little reels to their 200 sized brothers, is night and day. The reels I would love to have, but aren't in my budget are the Chronarch Mg50, and some of the Japanese market finesse casting reels.

Your second worst enemy in a casting reel is friction. You can go with some spool bearing upgrades, and super tuning (polishing of critical friction points) to even further enhance your casting performance.

Joe

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 12:26PM

Ken,
I agree.
However, if you were talking about and testing a spinning reel; I suspect that you would have achieved the opposite results.
I have found that the larger the spinning reel spool, the longer the casting distance.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2009 12:42PM

I think Ken is talking about spinning reels. My experience over the years mirrors Ken's, although there is an optimum size spool diameter for the specific line. Your 6 lb test may achieve its best distance on that number 10 reel, but if you move to say, 12 lb test, you may find the size 20 or even 30 does better for you.

Posted by: Joe Vanfossen (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: October 28, 2009 01:12PM

Ken,

Sorry for moving off topic a bit, I do see that you are talking spinning reels now. That certainly is an interesting result.

Joe

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (206.113.142.---)
Date: October 28, 2009 01:27PM

How does one go about entering the casting competition? I would love to participate if I can.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 01:31PM

If spinning reels -- is it not a matter of spool -- face plate size --- that matters ? I mean larger the face plate the larger the Pig Tails ?? is the size of where the line goes really mater ???

Then again is it not best to use a casting reel because the line comes off -Straight - no pig tails to control.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 01:34PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 28, 2009 01:46PM

The reel manufacturers have gone back and forth on this - it's a marketing thing. In the mid 80's many companies switched from larger diameter, short spools to smaller diameter, longer spools and touted them as being superior for casting long distances. Some of those same companies have recently gone in reverse, and are now touting larger diameter, shorter spools as being best for distance.

As I said earlier, you'll find that each particular line (diameter, suppleness, etc,) will work best on a specific size spool. If you're setting up for a competition or just want the most possible distance for your fishing needs, you should always try a couple reels with different spool sizes - smaller and larger.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 01:52PM

OK but will the smaller spool face - have a smaller pig tail - that is easier to control --- if we are talking spin reels. Are we.?? Then again is a casting reel better for casting -Distance ?? No pig tails.

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 02:19PM by bill boettcher.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.115.48.60.brf04-home.tm.net.my)
Date: October 28, 2009 10:13PM

Ken, what is the size of your first guide? Did you switch that? Different spool size may require different butt sized guides for max casting distance.

Mo

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 29, 2009 08:46AM

Mo, I completely resized and reset all the guides to accommodate the larger reel. I didn't just slap a larger reel onto a guide system that had been set up for a smaller reel. The only thing that remained the same was the final running guies.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.cnx.com.my)
Date: October 30, 2009 10:00AM

Ken. Thanks. Very valuable observations. Much appreciated.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster