I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What is a fisheye?
Posted by: Andrew Metzger (---.afspc.af.mil)
Date: October 27, 2009 01:32PM

So I'm gaining more experience with this stuff just about everyday. In playing with TM lite finish, I always hear how folks are using anywhere from 2-5 coats of this stuff to get the job done right and their results are great. I think I've got some fisheye problems, or at least that's what I think...On the second and third coats, if I apply the finish too thin it seem that it like to expose holes in the finish, it'll pull the thin areas up back towards the heavier applied areas. I guess more info is needed. I'm turning the rod by hand to apply the finish and I'm getting it on there quick. I make sure it has complete coverage over the previous coat of finish. I let it sit less than 24 hours between coats as well. Is what I'm experiencing fisheye? I can take pics later tonight and post them up. And how would I fix this condition. It would seem that getting the previous coat back to a water break free surface would be key, but I've never heard of this being done between coats.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is a fisheye?
Posted by: Chris Richer (---.sierrasystems.com)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:34PM

A fisheye occurs when the finish pulls away from an area. It is usually caused by some sort of contamination. Silicone is one such contaminant, but skin oils can cause the same effect. Be careful what you clean the surface with as some solvents are no longer pure as they are made from recycled materials.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: October 27, 2009 02:39PM

So I am experiencing fisheyes. the only thing I'm doing is moving the rod from the dryer to the closet to sit until I have the time to hit it with the next coat, not touching the finish. Would using a lighter to heat the bubbles out affect this?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:48PM

Fisheyes rarely occur in ones or twos - if you have silicone contamination you'll have dozens, even hundreds of these small craters throughout your finish.

You have small areas repelling the additional application of finish. Make sure nothing touches the surface of the finish when you move it around (best not to move it at all, if you can help it). You might also try applying your subsequent coats a little sooner if possible.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:49PM

Andrew, it could be from oils on your skin when you wrapped the threads. It could be the thread got something on it. It doesn't take much. One dusting with furniture polish could ruin the area for a long time!

Also, try putting on a heavier coat. You want the epoxy to flow off the brush without the brush actually touching the blank. Better to put on too much, let it flow and level, and then remove some with the brush if desired. No way you should need five coats. One was enough on A thread for me. D thread soaked it up more and I can see I'll need a second coat.

I didn't find any need to use heat as there were no bubbles to speak of. Try blowing on the finish with a drinking straw if you have any bubbles.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 03:39PM

Andrew I will suggest something a little different. You may be experiencing a normal occurance of the epoxy cure cycle. That slight pulling leaving areas of no finish immediately after application is quite common when thin layers are involved over plain blank or label surfaces.

A couple of things will help.

After you mix the finish let it stand for a few minutes before starting the application. Roger Seiders, Flex Coat, mentions in his presentations that finish is subjected to internal forces during the intial catalization process that may tend to make the finish appear to move around on its own. I have not used Threadmaster Lite but use Flexcoat and Threadmaster routinely. I normally do all thread wrapped surfaces when the finish is freshly mixed and wait a little to insure that the "curing movement" is minimized. I see it nearly every time large surfaces are involved. It can also be minimized by using a higher quality and softer brush to to the work.

When your are working the flat surface be sure to do it under good lighting, or it will never be noticed, and work narrow long bands before rotation by hand - if it is visible pulling wait a few more minutes and let the epoxy cure progress a little more before continuing. Just continue to work the area with long slow strokes until the "surface hold" is stable.

More than likely there is no contamination and you are just experienceing those things that need to be learned to produce a perfect finish. Your ability to recognize this is a big step to make.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 05:03PM by Bill Stevens.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 03:49PM

I am wondering what is in the closet ?? Are your hands clean, did your wife wax the furniture ?? It can also come in throw a window. Wax a car ?? Any thing with oil, waxes will carry into the air and travel.

When I first started I used to worry about the finish, when some one walked though the door I used to get all upset. I also found the less I worried about it all - the better things came out.

When you get a blank, wash it to clean it because of all the people that had there hands on it. When finishing - make sure no one is like I said waxing a car, waxing furniture any thing with oils or silicones in it.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 27, 2009 03:51PM

Bill is correct about giving the finish a chance to stabilize before application ... even a LSU fan will get one right answer occasionally. Better get that blue/orange thread ready.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 03:54PM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Ken Finch (---.orlando-21rh15-16rt.fl.dial-access.att.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 04:22PM

I'm sure it was my fault, but I had the same problem with every "lite" type epoxy I tried. I gave up on it and went to regular and high build. If I need a thin coat I just put it on a little thinner. A stiffer brush makes a thin coat almost automatic.

Date: October 27, 2009 04:33PM

That's like when I told people I thinned out the thicker finish with med - temp lacquer thinner. just being cheep. it worked and I had no problems what ever.

It is not the finish. there is some thing you are putting into it that is causing the fish eyes.

Load it on -- hand turn till it drips off excess -- then slow turn ??

Bill - willierods.com

Date: October 27, 2009 04:38PM

Maybe I'm just rushing things. Now it's time to find the happy balance between too fast and not fast enough.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 05:09PM

Here we go again!!

The Fat Lady has not 'sung" the final verse -

The rods will come again from the Clydes' bayou!

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 05:11PM by Bill Stevens.

Date: October 28, 2009 01:06PM

It looks like a Moon Crater or a Meter Crater. For what ever that's worth ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Chip Sugar (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 28, 2009 09:57PM

Andrew.

You've had a lot of really experenced rod builders answer you questions. I had this trouble a while back and posted a question on the forum. I called mudhole and flex coat and had all sorts of suggestions. I washed the mixing cups with alcohol, ordered new mixing sticks, and opened a new package of epoxy. In the end I think it was excessive heat from a lighter.

Chip

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster