I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Black dog
Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.245.95.216.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:09PM

Maybe not very observant of me but what ever happened to Black Dog Tackle ?
Did Joe shut down or just elect not to be a sponsor ?
He always treated me right.

Gene

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Black dog
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2009 08:23AM

Joe informed me that retirement is not far down the road and thus he was cutting back on the business. He chose not to renew his sponsorship.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: October 27, 2009 08:33AM

Was Joe also the fellow that had started the Rod Building International Group? Whatever happened there? Will he be dropping that as well?

Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.reverse.vilayer.com)
Date: October 27, 2009 09:00AM

I believe the RBI Group is defunct and has been for over a year. Sadly, the day of the organized rod building club is long over. This is true not only in custom rod building but in many other types of craft related clubs as well. They were once the focal point for information pertaining to their crafts and hobbies but with the advent of the internet that function has passed into a different method of communication. Note the approximate time period when the old Clemens Rodcrafter group went out....... it was about the same time that the internet became popular. Not a coincidence IMO.

The future is in the informal get togethers, mega events like the ICRBE and the general day to day interaction of the rod builders among each other via forums like this one and private E-mail. Information is still being shared, it has just taken a different route these days.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: October 27, 2009 09:04AM

Their web site is still up and running- [www.rodbuildersinternational.com]

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 09:22AM

Joe and I worked on this together for awhile. The hope was to get a critical mass and provide a referral service through placing ads in publications and connecting buyers with builders that were a best fit for the customer. Joe was also very interested in creating a virtual classroom setting to teach the craft to new builders.

We weren't able to attract enough participating members to get momentum however. So be it. It was an interesting idea and probably with a little more funding and a couple more people it could have been a good resource for the building community.

Joe is doing well and was just in the Portland area a couple weeks ago on a brief vacation. Black Dog is alive and well although he's focusing a little more on rod building and a little less on the component business but he'll help you with whatever you need.

Terry

Date: October 27, 2009 10:26AM

IMO it did not work for the same reason that no other organized rod building club can these days.......... it did not offer anything that you could not already get from the internet and for less or completely free of charge.

The referral service might have been worthwhile. But just the one single ad was not enough to get any momentum going. I know a lot of builders were waiting to see if RBI would make the commitment beyond that single referral ad.

Posted by: Kirk_Miller (---.static.gci.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:05PM

Peter I beg to differ on this area of your Post.

"IMO it did not work for the same reason that no other organized rod building club can these days.......... it did not offer anything that you could not already get from the internet and for less or completely free of charge."

I have attended one Nerbs Gathering and it inspired me to try to start a group llike that in Alaska. To be able to mingle with people that have the same Passion/Hobby that you do will push your skills to the limit. I came away from there with more information than I can remember. I may have been able to learn the same info from the internet, but nothing can match the hands on learning experience.

That is my 10 cents on Rodbuilding clubs

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:36PM

I agree Kirk and would love to hook up with others in my area. I'm near Miami and I just can't fathom that there aren't any. The few that do wrap, and that I have contacted, act like they don't want to give up trade secrets and hurt their business.

Date: October 27, 2009 02:44PM

Kirk, I see you did not bother to really read my post. You cannot possibly compare an organizated rod building club with officers, dues, newsletters, etc., etc. to a small local group gathering or a personal business enterprise like the NERBS.

Please go back and this time carefully note this sentence in my original post....\'The future is in the informal get togethers,...\'

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 27, 2009 02:55PM

Russell,

You have a ton of builders in your immediate area. I have 18 builders listed on the RodMaker mailing list in Miami alone. I'd bet that within a 50 miles radius of you there are at least 50 to 75 builders. I understand that many don't want to share anything - and there's nothing wrong with that. Many guys have developed techniques and methods that they feel they make their living (or part of it) on and they're not required to share anything they don't want to (Remember that even the old "Learn by Sharing" motto coined by Dale Clemens didn't refer to free information - you had to pay for it.)

The upside is that there are plenty of rod builders who do freely share and if you'll keep your eyes peeled you may run into them. Are you displaying the International Symbol for Custom Rod Building? Do you make a habit of wearing clothing that somehow identifies you as a custom builder? It's not hard to walk by another custom builder and never suspect that you and he share the same hobby, unless one or the other of you has something on that would indicate that you're involved in the craft.

I'm always happy to print notices in the News section of RodMaker for any builders that are attempting to find other builders in their local areas for a get together - but I need at least 2 months lead time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster