I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

dropping a fly rod section?
Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.233.---)
Date: October 26, 2009 04:46PM

Here's the deal. I've got a 9' 7 pc 5 wt. blank One of my regular customers likes the fact that it breaks down to 17" but not the fact that it's 9'. I'm thinking about dropping the last section which should take it down to about 7.5'. I've heard guys doing this.
Anything i should be aware of?
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dropping a fly rod section?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2009 04:47PM

You'll lose some power and the action will become much slower. I'd recommend mocking up a handle, taping on the guides and letting the guy try casting it a bit. Get the feel for it and see how he likes it.

Date: October 26, 2009 04:50PM

Actually slowing the action down could be a benefit. this guy usually fishes bamboo with a passion for the more parabolic tapers. the graphite blank is actually rather fast so this may be a good deal.

Posted by: robert schuler (---.ipt.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2009 12:28PM

I have built fly rods without the lower section often but only with discounted blanks. I like shorter rods for fishing from my canoe where power and casting distance is less of an issue. And I often build ultra light spincast rods from fly rods with the lower section dropped. Yes you loose casting distance and get slower action. As a custom build for a customer I would go out and find a properly sized blank to start with and keep the customer happy... Bob.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (---.gatcf.jcu.edu.au)
Date: October 27, 2009 10:12PM

I've done just that on a Cabelas Stowaway in the same rating. It came out at 7'6", still fast. I overlined with a 6 wt line and it was quite happy at shorter range work. I liked the short pack length as well.

The trouble with looking for a new blank is that you won't find too many short rods with less than 20" sections, or more than 4 pieces. I'd go right ahead. As mentioned, it will slow down a touch and be less powerful.

Date: October 28, 2009 10:39AM

Thanks Ted, That's exactly the blank I'm using and using it as a 6 wt is perfect for this guy.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (137.219.205.---)
Date: October 28, 2009 09:17PM

I wish I could get my hands on another. I had loads of fun with mine, and a 7'6", 6 piece, fast 5/6 wt. is a great rod to carry just about anywhere. Good luck with the build: it's a very nice blank, but a touch sensitive to heat if you have to change a tip. I broke mine landing a nice barramundi.

Date: October 29, 2009 10:30AM

They are nice little sticks. I've built the 9'5wt and the 8' 4wt and kept them full size. this was an extra. I live about 20 min from one of their stores and thses were in the "bargain" room along with the matching tubes. the price was like they were giving them away.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster