I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Butt cap error advice
Posted by: Bob Scacheri (198.148.205.---)
Date: October 26, 2009 12:44PM

I made a bunch of rods a few years ago and am back at it now. I build my handles by gluing cork directly to the blank, and then sanding it down on the lathe. Normally I sand a single ring on a threaded rod to butt cap I.D. size and attach it to the butt end. Unfortunately, I forgot my usual plan and glued full size cork rings all the way down to the butt end. Thus, I have no way to sand the butt end rings because I can't put it in the lathe. Any suggestions? I thought about temporarily putting a smaller blank scrap into the butt end of the blank thus creating a "handle" that could be chucked into the lathe. Not sure if this would damage the blank, though.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Butt cap error advice
Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 12:50PM

Stick the entension in teh buttand spin it (lmao)

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 01:07PM

Bob -
That's the way I build most of mine. Insert a rod blank and sand away

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 03:51PM

Bob,
I assume that you are speaking of using a non bored cork ring to make your butt cap?

If so, you can do the following with your lathe:

I picked up a small lathe, just to do this chore.

I chuck a 1/16th drill bit into the chuck on the headstock, and leave only about 1/8th of an inch protruding from the chuck. The purpose of this short point is to simply insure that the cork ring being shaped will not move off center.
Then, in my free rotating tail stock, I chuck in a flat plate, that I had previously machined down to be a bit smaller than the final diameter of the butt cap.
Finally, I insert an unbored cork ring on the protruding drill bit and the flat tail stock plate. I tighten down the tail stock to keep the ring from slipping. Then, I just use routine shaping tools and sand paper to shape and finish the butt cap.

I first use a dial caliper to measure the finished side of the end cork ring. Then, keeping the dial caliper locked to that dimension, I finish the butt cap cork to the diameter of the end cork ring.

After finishing the butt cap and putting a finished edge on the extreme end of the ring, I will take the ring from the lathe and simply use 5 minute epoxy to glue the butt cap to the end rod cap and butt.
I use alcohol to clean up any excess epoxy, before the epoxy cures so that the final appearance is perfect with no glue marks or over or underhanging bits of cork.

Give it a try, I think you will find it to be a very easy, clean and neat procedure to give a nice finished look to your rod.

Take care

Roger

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 26, 2009 05:19PM

One option would be a rubber butt plug ... [www.americantackle.us].

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 09:12PM

Bob,
Add the extension and take the end rings down to .8. You can then use one of the preformed EVA, rubber or composite butt cap of your choice.

Robert

Posted by: Bob Scacheri (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 10:33AM

Thanks for all the responses. I love this board.

Bob

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster