I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

7' spinning rod, # of guides?
Posted by: Dave Wylie (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:45AM

I need to know if I should use 7 or 8 guides plus Tip on a 7' spinning rod using a 3000 model reel. I am unable to see any difference from static testing between 7 and 8, Thanks for all of your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 7' spinning rod, # of guides?
Posted by: Rolly Beenen (---.ontariopowergeneration.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:55AM

Usually it is a guide per foot plus the tip so 7 and a tip should be fine.

Rolly Beenen
Rovic Custom Rods

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 11:59AM

Dave,
Use as few guides as possible and still achieve the action, response, casting and retrieving from a rod.
This might mean as 5 guides on a 7 foot rod, or as many as 10 - depending on the blank and the taper.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 12:07PM

I have built many 7' spinning rods, and find I never need more than 6 guides, plus the tip top. On everything from ultra-lite to musky spinning rods.

I know it's less than what most use, but it works!

Good Luck,
Marc

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: October 26, 2009 01:12PM

Using micro guides, I tyipaclly use 11 but concept style rods use around 7-8 depending on the ind. blanks.

Date: October 26, 2009 03:53PM

There is really little reason to use more or fewer guides on a spinning rod, or on a casting rod using a spiral wrap - depending on the guide size.
i.e. if 6 guides work for large guides, 6 guides should work for micro guides.

If you are building a conventional casting rod, you might have a significantly different number of guides - depending on the height of the guide in order to keep the line off the rod. i.e. a higher guide will allow a rod to be built with fewer guides and still keep the line from slapping the rod.
The only purpose of a guide is to guide the lines path with respect to the rod blank - both unbent and bent.

Good luck
Roger

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/26/2009 03:55PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 26, 2009 03:57PM

If you're satisfied with the line path under load with the 7 guide (plus tiptop) set up, then go with it.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: October 26, 2009 09:17PM

Make sure to test cast each. Spinning rods can sometimes cast very differently based on the guide layout. You may find one cast better than the other.

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.cnx.com.my)
Date: October 26, 2009 09:22PM

I do static but wonder if rod action makes a difference - i.e. Fast versus slow action.

Mo

Date: October 26, 2009 10:19PM

Mo,
No question about it.
A good rod builder will usually have at least one, and perhaps more than one more guide on a fast action rod, compared to a slow action rod.

With a fast action rod, you will have a much quicker tip. To properly load the tip, you need guides to keep the line following the bending moment of the rod blank.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: Marc Morrone (---.dsl.airstreamcomm.net)
Date: October 27, 2009 07:40AM

I have found on fast action rods I generally don't need any more guides. They need to be spaced to distribute the load evenly on the smaller arc towards the tip, but you can also space them farther appart lower in the rod where the blank does not bend - resulting in a weight savings.

Posted by: Mo Yang (60.53.250.---)
Date: October 28, 2009 09:52AM

Interesting, so there's two divergent opinions on this.....?

Mo

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.mercymiami.org)
Date: October 28, 2009 11:01AM

Mo, it might have something to do with the rod and its intended duty. I would load a salt water rod a lot more during guide placement than a bass rod fishing the same pound test. No matter how fast a blank is it will bend if pushed enough. I just don't trust most fresh water rods to dead lift the pound test I'll fish on them....and I won't trust a salt water rod that can't!

Posted by: Mo Yang (---.115.48.60.brf04-home.tm.net.my)
Date: October 28, 2009 10:07PM

Russell. Got it. Makes sense. Thanks.

Mo

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster